Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AAARRR!!! need help with burb steering column

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffblazer, Nov 23, 2005.

1. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

:mad: I AM SO MAD!!!! :mad: ok i tore the steering column apart to replace my dimmer switch. then i come to realize that the switch box is down under the column :doah: well thats no problem but when tearing it apart the plastic peice that connects the cruise control/wiper switch to the little rod that goes down the column. well i know how to hook it all back together but when hooking it up how do you hold the rod to the plastic piece while sliding the cover back onto the tilt column, also trying to slide the rest of the column back together all at the same time :confused: i have gotten very close but everytime it seems that when i finally think i have it all hooked the little rod has slipped of the plastic peice :mad: so my question is, is there an easyer way to do this without all the hassle. :confused:

2. erik59

erik59 Registered Member

At the end of the rod it should have a 90 degree angle where it hits against the plastic. Put a little bit of grease on the spot where the rod and plastic meet. That held it together long enough for me to get mine back together. When I had to tighten the tilt steering on my jimmy I had the same problem. Hope this helps. It should be the same setup.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i seem to remember asking about that in the other thread before this one on replacing that switch,,,,i asked and could have swore it was under the dash, there's a lond rod that goes down to it,,,,,i dunno though,,,,hmmm

and to answer your question,,,,it's a P.I.T.A. can't remember exactly how i did it, but i do remember it was "real fun" :rolleyes:

4. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

ya i tried the grease thing and it work at holding it together but when everything was back together it somehow had slipped out. now the wiring that goes to the turn signal plate, can that be disconnected from the plate so that way you can take the plate and and the shaft cover all the way off :confused: if so that would make it a little less painful :(

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Odd, I don't recall having any trouble putting my 89's column back together...

For some reason, I think I remember putting the dimmer switch rod down into the switch, then putting the part onto the top of the column, then holding the rod with a peice of tape or something to keep it from falling out while I put it all back together