Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AACK! 12 bolt on fire!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rusty68, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Well i was a 1000 miles from nowhere last night and I kept thinking I was seeing things that looked like sparks behind me...Hmm, anyway I didnt notice any vibes or noises, mostly cause the tunes were crank. But when I was coming up to a junction and steped on my brakes flames came shooting out of my wheel well! So i pulled over and put out the fire. But my brake drum was glowing red from heat. I had my truck towed home, $400 ouch. It seems I lost a wheel bearing and my brakes are history on that side. The question is my axle housing ruined because of the extreme heat? I have extra shafts so that is no big deal. But can a housing tube warp from a bad bearing?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

It might be easier to find a new housing if you think its wasted. The part that would most likely be wasted is the bearing moutning surface on the axle tube. And of course it could have sent metal through the entire axel assembly ruining all the bearings.

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

you would've been in luck a few weeks back, i just sold my old housing and shafts and ring and pinion for less that $100, 26 for the housing, 20 for the shafts, and 30 4.88 RP, to give you an idea what you can find them for on Ebay.