Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AACKKKK!!! no start after fuel filter change

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Apr 10, 2007.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Hey all, the truck is an 86 military blazer with the 6.2L diesel, today after work i picked up all the parts i ordered and decided to knock out some small stuff, so i did the oil change, new oil filter, re torqued all the oil pan bolts (VERY glad i did that, one was unscrewed half an inch, right behind the dipstick tube.)

and then i replaced the fuel filter, pretty easy after i got past the crippling fear it was on the high pressure side of the fuel system. problem is, after swapping the fuel filter, the truck fired right up, ran till the fuel pump was empty, then died. and i cant get it to fire again.

soooo, im kinda thinkin at this point, was i supposed to fill the fuel filter with diesel before i installed it? is there a fuel pump in the tank? or is it just all pulled up by the pump on the engine?

thanks everybody ;)

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

make sure the tank is full, fill the filter with diesel, and let it prime the lines, then fill it back up and start it...

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If I remember right theres somethin by the fuel filter that you turn and it bleeds the line and the filter. After that just keep cranking like hell. I had my old 6.2 C10 dry a couple times back in highschool. 1 of my tanks leaked so I kept it empty. Smartass buddys always loved to get in my truck when I wasnt looking and switch the tanks. Pretty funny lookin back at it Id usually get about a block or two down the road and it would die

4. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

well the fuel tank has about a half tank in it, it was running right before i swapped the fuel filter, been drivin it all day. i figured it was air in the lines or somethin, and as i recall there is indeed a kinda stopcock kinda lookin thing that leads to a vent tube that empties into the passenger fender, think im gonna go play with it and see if he'll fire up.

5. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

YAYYYYY!!!! thanks guys, the stopcock it was, and i dont know how long that old filter had been on there, but the truck is MUCH happier now, i hadnt thought about it before, but the old filter was leaking fuel from the bottom, so it may have been REALLY clogged. the truck runs better, runs smoother, has more pickup, and possibly more importantly its way way quieter than it was before.

thanks so much for the help guys. that one would have driven me NUTS :bow:

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Yeah a plugged filter will kill a trucks performance. I remember my old 6.2 C10 was the same way when I first got it. Ended up changing the filter after i found out the one tank was clear empty. It was like a whole new truck.

7. Ancient4X4

Ancient4X4 Registered Member

Never mind, read that you fixed it, disregard. :)