Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AAHHH!! Why do I keep bending my rear springs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TopOff, May 26, 2004.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Is it simply a matter of too much torque?

I had 57" Ford springs, with Echobits' shackle flip.

Now I have 1-ton Chevy springs with two leaves removed. Now I bent these too!

The passenger side appears to be bent. It was nice and level when I installed them.

I figure the torque of the transmission keeps bending the passenger side, presuming this is getting most of the power.

WTH?

What can I do? Does this mean I need an anti-wrap system?

Anyone have a good suggestion?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Two words.

AXLE WRAP.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Crap. What can I do to fix this?

Little shock mount system, will this be enough?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a real antiwarp setup is the best way. Search for antiwrap bars

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It's either axle wrap, or the rear suspension is binding somewhere when flexed. I would suggest getting your truck completely flexed and look to see if something like the rear shackles are bottoming out. If they are then that could definitely cause bent springs. The suspension should always contact a bump stop before it completely bottoms out otherwise you will stress the springs.

Concerning axle wrap, I would think that if it was wrapping enough to bend springs then it would be very noticable inside the vehicle.

6. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

So far it has only been on the street, so I don't think it is a question of bind. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How could I tell "inside the vehicle" if I am getting axle-wrap? What would be a sympton???

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Wheel hop. Take it out and floor it. Course that may cause more problems. Have somebody romp on it a little while you watch the pinion in relation to the ground. Should go up a couple degrees but not to much.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Wheel hop is a more extreme example of axle wrap. You should also notice a "clunk" or similar sound from the rear end area when first taking off, like from a stop sign, under moderate power. This sound is made when the spring unloads the axle. I had a 2-wheel drive truck that had shot rear springs, it did it anytime I hit the throttle any more than just easing it off the line...

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have been heavy footed, as I have been reprogramming my fuel-injection for my fresh-little rat motor (402-BB). (I broke my ARB in my 14bolt SF just last month).

I don't think I am getting wheel hop, as my rear tires are spinning and screaming, but they are not screech, screech - screeching - which would indicate, to me, wheel hop.

Also, I have not noticed a clunk when taking off.

I guess, I need to look more at some ladder bars, atleast on the passenger side.