Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AAMCO

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Sep 23, 2002.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

What do you guys think of AAMCO for a rebuild of my 700R4? The sounded like they know what they are talking about. They rebuild the same tranny that was in it and offer a warranty? Should I go that route? Should I go to a mom and pop type place? Should I just buy one and have it shipped in and have it stuffed in? I kinda feel that I should just use the one that was in it to start with?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't see anything wrong with rebuilding the one you got. I tend to go with the ma and pa places if they'll offer the same or better warrenties.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I suspect AAMCO will just do a "stock" rebuild, and probably touch you for a pretty penny in the process. A privately owned/specialty shop is more likely to upgrade your tranny for a lesser amount than a national chain's "stock" type rebuild.

John

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

For what Ammco is going to charge you you could buy a GM 700 with a 3 year 50K warranty, pay somebody from here $200 to install it and still have some cash to buy lunch. I wouldn't be surprised if they Quote you $2k with warranty.

5. Ok here it is !! The local AAMCO replaced my 700R4 tranny 1 1/2 years ago. It was $1500.00 for everything and that was with a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty. My local AAMCO shop sent the Burb home with a leaky tranny that I took back in and they put a new pan gasket on and two days later I noticed it leaking again so I took it back in to find that they cracked my TV cable and it was leaking out of there. So I got a new TV cable and the leak stopped, but then the tranny strated to slip, so I figure the TV cable needs adjusted and they did that for me. Shifted great for a few days and then whallaaaaa no 2nd or 3rd gear. They towed me and replaced the tranny again. Everything went OK on this one and it made it a few months and on the way home I lost everything but 1st gear. They towed me in again and this time they did a heavy duty build up with the vette servo and the extra kevlar bands. I didn't even ask them, I just wanted an operational tranny. I have had ZERO problems with the last tranny since July 01 when they installed it. It shifts hard and runs great. I think we just have a crappy AAMCO shop here, so don't let that change your mind. A GM dealer will charge you $2500 and up, but you get a 3 yr. warranty. Bowtie Overdrive makes one hell of a built 700R4 for a good price and then you could pay a couple hundred for the install if you couldn't do it. My $.02 !!

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I've never heard a good thing aobut AAMCO either.

7. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

hehehe., i dont think its just there. i had a aamco look at mine and said it was wasted. they said they would re-build for $1100, so i said go for it.two days later they told me other stuff was bad and it would cost me $1900. i said "f"
    that , im coming to get it. i had it towed to a mom and pop
    joint and since the tranny was already out, they re-built the thing for $700 including re-installing it. the guy did tell me it didnt look bad , but i had him replace everything anyways. well drove it home and the damn thing
    did the same thing. i took it to the dude who re-built it
    and he plugged the code thing up and found out the my problem all along was the tcl wasnt working right in the
    computer. a $200 fix . aamco made me have to re-build my tranny for no reason.
    i guess the point i am trying to make is dont trust the place just becouse it a name brand joint.
    i also found out that aamco is independatly owened all over,
    they just use the name.

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Can't go wrong with the factory GM.

Eric.

89K5/14FF/D60/2-1/2"Superlift/ORD Stuff/More coming!!