Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AARRGG!!! Stumbling not fixed...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcpilot, Nov 19, 2002.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

O.K. no vacuum leaks.. no ignition problems... ran a tank of high octane and carb cleaner through it.. engine stumbling at idle in gear and during slow to mild accelartion.. put in neutral idle better.. accelerate quickly and no porblem. Do I need to rebuild?? It's a edelbrock.. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Fuel filter maybe? I have a big one on the frame rail for EFI sounds like mine when it got clogged up.

3. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

that was the first thing I replaced..

4. rusty79beast

rusty79beast Registered Member

My 79 blazer was doing something like that. I would start it up, and it would be good. The second I put it in gear it would konk out. If I quick put it in gear and gave it gas it would run fine. I thought it needed a carb rebuild, but when I was in the process of taking it off, I noticed the bolts holding the carb down were incredibaly loose. I tightened them up, and runs good now. Hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Thanks... I'll check it out tonight...

6. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

I put on a new Edelbrock awhile back, ran fine for awhile, then after a month I noticed stumbling. Replaced all of the fuel filters, and then my auto shop teacher checked it out, and he said the vacuum advance was shot(I was only getting 10 degrees advance). Bought a new one for 10 bucks, pulled the old one out, put the new one in, and better than ever. Also be sure that you have one vacuum line dedicated to the advance and correct port on the carb(do not run any other lines off of this one as it will take away your vacuum).

7. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I replaced the vacuum advance about a month ago and the line is dedicated.. the coil is about 2 months old..bought from AutoZone.. could it be the cause?? Intermitted problem does'nt sound right for the carb... also has new ignition module...

8. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

i dont know much about the older blazers and what sencors and stuff they have but under the manifolds or headders on mine on the passengers side there is a NOCK sensor that does something with the exaust or cilinder fire and if it ppoped out or went bad it will cause a crappy idle and spuddering until higher rpm's

9. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

Is it flooding or just missing a little?If your positive you have no vacuum leaks and it's in time,then it sound's like you have a carb problem.Sound's like the carb is loading up at the idle step,just thinking out loud.Give some more info on what it's doing and what all you've done to try to fix,GOD Bless,jtpepper

10. LAXandBLAZERS

LAXandBLAZERS 1/2 ton status

Mine was doing this and it turned out to be timing. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif