Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AARRRGGGHH! I may have 3.08's!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Skigirl, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

AARRRGGGHH! I may have 3.08\'s!

I just found a receipt (that I can barely read) for parts that the previous owner bought, showing that he bought 1 gear set of 3.08's and a 12 bolt cover. This kid used to wheel! And only 1 set! WTF?

So, tomorrow I check into it. I have 35" tires and do mostly highway, but geez.... I was happy in my delusion that i had 3.73's...OK for highway.

So, if it's true, how much should I expect to pay for 3.73's, parts and install?

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: AARRRGGGHH! I may have 3.08\'s!

Welcome to the party, I only have 3.08's. Luckily my 14/44 combo has 3.73's and will be in shortly....hopefully!

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I have 3.08's and had 36" tires... really sucked in the city but did really fine on the freeway... however I am not gonna miss them when the 4.10's go in.... I feel your pain! [​IMG]

How can I miss you if you won't go away? [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; 1 Timothy 4:12 &gt;&lt;&gt;

4. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

you guys are lucky....im not absolutly sure but i think i may be running 2.73's.
    i mean the thing wont even roll at idle! I have to give it gas. I will find out for sure today when i do my diff oil changes

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

you guys are lucky....im not absolutly sure but i think i may be running 2.73's.
    i mean the thing wont even roll at idle! I have to give it gas. I will find out for sure today when i do my diff oil changes
    Justin

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

you guys are lucky....im not absolutly sure but i think i may be running 2.73's. i only have 32" tires! I mean the thing wont even roll at idle! I have to give it gas. I will find out for sure today when i do my diff oil changes
    Justin

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Nonesuch, if you have 2.73's and I find that i really do have 3.08's, I'm gonna upgrade to 3.73 or 4.11's and you can have the 3.08's if you want 'em. Not much of an improvement and may not be worth the install, but I won't need 'em, so WTF. If it's worth it to you, they're yours.

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run 3.08s and 35s. I do alot of rockcrawling with loose rock on it so you need the extra tire spin. It also cruises down the freeway nicely at 95 mph.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have had 2.73s and 3.08s both. I actually always thought I had 3.08s, so when my rear axle went bad, I went to the junkyard and bought a 12 bolt with 3.08s. Great, put truck in 4wd, starts hopping and I knew the problem. Went back, got the 3.08 geared front axle, and I was good to go.

3.08s are not really an improvement over 2.73s.

This is just my opinion, but if you have 35" tires, (like I do) 3.73 gears aren't going to be a whole lot better than your 3.08s were. Get 4.56s. On really windy days, uphill, my truck sometimes slows down a little bit on the highway. I have plenty of torque, just not enough RPM to take advantage of it. I'd say that with 35" tires, 4.56s are really your best bet. I have 4.10s. Believe me when I say that with 35s and overdrive, it falls just a tad bit short.

I'd bet it'll cost you close to $1000 to have new gearsets put in.

The reason the previous owner only had 3.08s put in is that he/she could probably not afford to do both axles.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info 84ChevyK10. I was just reading another post that mentioned folks were running one kind of gear set in the front and another in back. I thought they both had to be the same; like if I had 3.08's in front, I'd need to have 3.08's in back. Is this not true??

If it isn't true, the receipt I have shows purchase of only one gearset. If the gears are different front and back, what are advantages or disadvantages?

Another question: I will primarily use this rig as a ski truck, which means lots of highway, but then I'll need to get up some steep snowy mountain roads and maybe some deep snow (1 1/2 feet). I'm afraid that if I go to something like 4.56's, I won't be able to drive fast enough on the freeway (like 75-80 mph). I'm now running 35" tires with a 4" lift and don't want to go bigger or smaller. TIA for your help!

11. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Usually front and rear gear sets are minorly different - like a 4.10 front with 4.11 rear, but that's as different as you want to get. To keep really good freeway manners, 3.73's would be fine, especially seeing how you don't have OD to contend with. 4.10 would be ideal, but would keep you wound pretty tight on the freeways.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Oh hell, with no OD you'll prolly like those 3.73's just fine. I towed another K5 from Texas to B.C. (2400 miles) running 35's and 3.73's...I never had a problem...well aside from an alternator that was giving me fits, but that obviously had nothing to do with my gears.
    Without OD your cruise Rpm will be around 2500 RPM, right where the torque really starts to build.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! Will 3.73's have enough umph to get me up slick (snowy) mountain roads? I have a th400, BTW.

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

They'll do everything you need and more with a TH400 - anything lower would be the pits on the freeway, and would be really quick to induce lots of wheelspin on snow and ice.

Clean up on aisle 3!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>