Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Abandoned or stolen?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MA87K5, Oct 26, 2000.

1. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

A friend from work told me that he saw a K5 in the woods stuck in mud that was shot up. He says that it looks like it has been there for a while. I would love to check it out, and maybe get parts off of it, but first I would have to check if it has been reported stolen. If it isn't stolen what would be the correct next step to do?

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

report it to the police.....and if they don't have anything on it...well...don't know what to tell you then...find the owner of the land and ask permission to take stuff off the Blazer...and to be there....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats pretty cool that you found it. Hopefully theres nothing bad about it...maybe it'll be yours[​IMG] It'll probably be a PITA to get out of being stuck in the mud so long.

90K5

4. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Well the police wasn't very much help. My friend showed me where it was. It was stuck in about a foot of now dried mud. I looked at the tires and they were 31x10.5R15 in front and snows in back with unknown sizes. I think it was a 78 or a 79. It looks like it has been there for a long time, the motor was pretty rusty. Also it turned out to be big dents in the doors not bullet holes. In my opinion it would be a waste of time to try to talk to the police into letting me have it. Who ever drove it there, drove it ilegally. It was on state land and motor vehicals were only aloud on the pavement.

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Before you start tearing things apart do a Car Fax report on the VIN...or get a cop buddy to run the VIN for you...you don't want to start taking parts off it or start pulling it out and find out later that you are now in possesion of stolen property!! You will be the one to goto jail...not the people who actually stole it and trashed a beautiful machine. And also if you are the one they say stole it you have to pay to have it repaired...even if you still claim you didn't do it. Be careful man...people are getting sued for sneezing and giving someone a cold...

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

6. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well I have bought a couple cars that came with no title and were kinda iffy on wethere they were legal or not anyways this is what I did. I called the cops told them I had it they came out and looked at them. Ran a check on them there was nothing there about them being stolen they gave me a paper saying so I went to the secetary of state gave it to them and I got a title to them both. The one happend to be a 76 k5 that I bought off of a crack head who wanted more. 100.00 bucks......

Scott
    78blazer

7. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Forgot to say that was just my experience I have had I dont know if that would work for you or not????

Scott
    78blazer

8. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

If it has no stolen report, you need to do a title search and ask the last registered owner for permission. If it's on state land, the state doesn't own it, so it would be soleley up to him.

"who dares wins"

9. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I'd apply for a slavage title if you realy want it. What that does is let be known that you are trying to get a title to said K5 and if anyone would like to contest this let the state know. If no one comes forth the K5 will be yours free and clear, and with a title. Might give this a try if its worth it.

Getsome

10. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I would go and get another 6 pack and sit in front of the tv where you belong, and leave the Blazer out in the woods where it belongs.

11. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>But if he gets the title for it, won't he be responsible for getting it out? If you want the parts that bad, I would get the VIN #, and check with your local DMV (where you get you liscense plates), and explain the situation to them, maybe you could find out the current owners name/ and or address. Who knows. The police won't run the VIN for you? What about checking with your own insurance company, can they check it out for you? Just my thoughts. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

12. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Oh, and one more thing. How much is all of this title stuff going to cost you, and what is it going to cost you to get it out of there. If you get the title to it, and someone else were to see it there and your name is on the title, would you be guilty of illegal dumping? (Well, that was more than 1 thing.) But, then again you might be better off doing what Gopherkiller had to say. You will have to weigh the Pros and Cons, and figure this one out for yourself. Good luck, and keep us posted. Later, - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

13. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Depdog might be able to provide some insight here. Shoot him an email...

14. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Well everyone I have decided to let it rust right where it sits. The only parts that might be worth anything would be the drive train. I don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get it out of the ground. Or the money. Let the police worry about it.