Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Abandoned vehicles on our property.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

We recently had to evict friends living in our rental house. 3 vehicles have been left behind. I know they can't move them, since none run, and they had to use my truck and my towbar to move them there when they moved in.

One's a '89/'90 Ford F150 shortbed 4x4 with a bad motor.

2nd is a '76 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 minus motor. This belongs to his friend, but his friend was selling it to him. I know it's not paid for.

3rd is a Chevy Z34 car with something wrong with it. They bought this car from the owner of a muffler shop that I always have exhaust work done at. I heard that the car was never paid for in full.

We have put all 3 vehicles on the street, and our main option is to call the city and have them towed off. Since the true legal ownership of two are in question, I'm thinking about going to his friend and asking what he wants to do about the Chevy truck, and asking the owner of the muffler shop if he still has any interest in the car.

I suppose we could also consider them abandoned and legally seize them, and try and sell/part them out for money we are owed, but I don't feel like doing that. Only one of the three I'd want any part of is the Chevy truck, but it's technically someone elses. Theres also some leftover parts in the garage.

I'm trying to be fair about this, but I don't know if I should do anything that goes out of my way to do a favor. The last water bill we got is nearly twice the usual cost, indicating they probably intentionally left water on to jack up our bills after they knew they were being evicted.

Would you just call the city and have them towed? Or try and obtain legal posession? Or do what I'm thinking and let the owner of the truck and the person owed money on the car know the situation before proceeding?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Consider them abandoned and legally seize them. Get them off the street, go down to your PD with the V.I.N. and make sure they're not stolden. File a Lein on them, once they're legally yours, part them out or fix them up and try too recover some of the money they owe you.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Let the previous owners know of the debacle and then write it off to experience.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My 2 cents -

Legally seize the '89/'90 Ford F150 shortbed 4x4.

Call the seller of the '76 Chevy who no doubt still has an ownership interest and see if he wants it. If not, he may just let you have it.

Call the muffler shop on Chevy Z34 as the shop probably has some lien right on the car.

5. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

And if none of that works out as in contacting possible PO, put them in the street and let the city impound them. Then the vehicles and the problems that come with them are out of your hair, besides they POS anyway and you have enough projects as it is. (If it was a D60 we would all understand if you kept it)

6. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i like this idea it may be the fastest way to get the stuff out of the way and get the new renter in the house

7. mountainexplorer

I'll probably contact the other two people involved today before I take any action. I think I'll just keep the stuff in the garage, not that it's much; but I doubt I'll ever see my 4.56 gears for a 14bolt/Dana 44 again that I never got paid for.

I'm counting on them to be people of their word enough to return my rims and tires I loaned out... some 37" bias plys and aluminum rims that are on his Blazer. Maybe I shouldn't count on it, but I know where they live now.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

From the sound of your last thread and this one these people really screwed you over. If the situation warrants I'd say go get your tires back and leave his truck on blocks.

I don't know what to tell you about the vehicles though, there are tons of variables in the situations that could effect the outcome.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm telling ya, file leins on all the abonded vehicles. If I remember correctly, the DMV will send out letters too the last registered owners giving them 90 days too contact you about them. You can legally charge storage fee's. If they don't bother contacting you, the the state can issue you titles for them.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd call the PO's and see if they want them back or will give you the paperwork on them. They may very well not have the paperwork anymore. At that point, call an authority and have them removed. I wouldn't try to get involved in acquiring ownership unless you can get rock-solid paperwork on them.

In my county, you call the local PD if there's an abandoned vehicle on your property, they tow it away and auction it if it wasn't stolen.

If you think they left the water on to jack up your bill, and you were forced to evict them, I wouldn't count the cards stacked in your favor on those wheels... I would go have a chat with him about them and kindly ask they be returned or they'll be repo'd. If you don't have any kind of agreement saying you loaned them to him, though, good luck on repo-ing them. All he has to do is report them stolen and say he suspects you, if you don't have paper saying their yours, you might end up with some kind of theft or vandalism charges.

These folks don't sound like quite a class act... On the other hand, if their life is just severely screwed up, they may just be handling it improperly and making casualties out of everyone in their path.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Having dealt with abandoned vehicles, questionable ownership, and lack of a title, I say leave them on the street and say nothing about them.

If you get involved with this, the chances of the problem cars becoming YOUR problem cars greatly increase. It gets fairly complicated, thats for sure. Police inspections of abandoned vehicles, reports to DMV, etc.

Had a friend that bought a car for parts (in this state). Was told there was a title, buys car, then surprise, they don't have the title. So he goes to the DMV, finds the last registered owner (not who he bought it from) then sends that guy a letter asking for the title, saying he purchased the car. No response from previous owner, and he has to get rid of the car. No one will take a car with no title. So he drags it off his property and leaves it there. Early next morning, knock on his door, a police officer instructing him to remove the abandoned vehicle or it will be impounded at his expense.

Turns out last registered owner DID get the letter he sent, but decided to do nothing about it, except hold that letter. When the police contacted the last registered owner of said vehicle that was now abandoned, he produced piece of paper with my friends name and address on it, and they went after my friend of course. If he would have done nothing but abandon the vehicle, nothing would have happened. As it was, he had to go get a trailer, move it, then send two certified letters to previous owner, prove to the DMV that he sent the letters requesting title and got no response, THEN he could dispose of it "legally". All with the requisite fees I'm sure.

Trying to do the right or kind thing often times makes life hell for you.

12. mountainexplorer

I have a few friends who witnessed the tires and rims being loaned out, as well as pictures of them on my truck. I really don't care about the tires that much... he can use them for a while, I don't need them at the moment, but later on I'll need them eventually. I know he doesnt have others to put on it for now, so loaning tires was a separate deal than the rental house. How's that on my part for being impartial and fair? I know his dad and other mutual friends, so I'm not too worried about them right now.

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll say this, you are far more forgiving than I am. I would be after the tires in a heartbeat.