Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about 10b/d44 interchangeability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Greek, Mar 6, 2007.

1. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

well im almost done rebuilding my d44 and found that the bearings in the spindle are toast.. would i be able to switch them out with the ones from my 10b? if i remember correctly isnt the only difference just the backing plate / rotor?

the d44 is an 8 lug and i dont know the year.. the 10b is a 6 lug and on the truck in the sig

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

If they can use the same locking hub, they use the same bearings. 76 and older 8 lug d44 stuff was external hub, and small spindle.

3. 74poj

74poj Registered Member

you can switch them out. you can also get new ones at napa, around $15 a set, part number BK1 or something close to that. the kit comes with new spindle bearing and oil seals. if you've already rebuilt the 44 might as well get the new spindle bearings for the price.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Knuckles out will interchange between D44 and 10 bolt. There are a few things to watch out for though. First let me say that the backing plates (caliper mounts) are different between 6 and 8 lug but not between D44 and 10 bolt. The tie rod comes in from the bottom on some spindles and the top from others (can't remember the year cut off for that though). Also there is a first design spindle which is mid 1976 and earlier which uses a smaller inner wheel bearing (1.75" ID IIRC) than the 2nd design spindle which was mid 1976 and later and had a (2" ID IIRC). The outer wheel bearing is the same on all D44 and 10 bolt axles. The outer stub axle bearing which is located within the back side of the spindle is the same for both D44 and 10 bolt axles and is commonly refered to as a SBK-1 kit IIRC.