Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? about 203 t-case.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gokartergo, Mar 19, 2002.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sorry other post won't work for some reason.. I am going to show my ignorance.. I just bought a second K5.. It as a 203 in it.. What does low loc and low mean.>?? Does low mean only the rear are engaged?? It does have the part time kit in it.. I am used to the 208..I feel stupid for asking..But I don't now..Thanks Dan

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Low is like an open differential. The power of the motor will go to the axle with least traction. Low Lock will lock the front and rear axle together so they spin at the same speed, just like 4 low in your 208. So if you put it in low with the hubs unlocked the truck won't move. This is because all the power will go to the front axle, and it is not locked in. So with a part time kit, you won't be able to use high or low. Only high lock and low lock. So to drive on the street it will need to be in high lock if the front hubs aren't locked in. ( I think I am right, if not someone let me know.)

3. gokartergo

So if the hubs are locked in.. I can't just drive around in 2 wheel drive.. It will always be in 4 wheel drive unless I unlocked the front hubs?????

4. newbe73

newbe73 Registered Member

well ya sort of . your high is like your high on a 4wd but the front tires dont spin at the same rate as the back ones this way it makes it easer to tern and you get better gass , your low and high locks mean hmm how can i say this ... well any loke spins the fron ties the same reat as the rear tiers. it is alot better for 4weel but if you get on the streel and you notice that you turn sharp and slow you will get kinda sort of slip with your back tiers and it you mite hear a knocking sound lock for 4weel no locks for street that is what you need to know , hoped i helped you out a bit more

5. newbe73

if you have lockin hubs you can unlock tem and use 2wd ya but if you do that just put it in high. that is if you have lok in hubs

6. gokartergo

So if the fronts hubs are unlocked... The drive shaft will be turning anyways? Weather it is in high or high loc?.Dan

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Hey gokartergo. Dont feel bad I swapped my 208 for a 203 and I still dont know what gear is what and I'm being dead serious. I guess because I dont get to play to often. I do know I have a part time kit and it doesnt loose power in any gear with or without the hubs locked. Oh and I did run around town without a rear driveshaft for about 2 weeks and I still didnt have power lose.

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

the 203 has 5 positions...
    lo lock
    lo
    neutral
    high high lock

lo lock and high lock means equal power goes to all four tires... front and rear...

lo and high mean all wheel drive... but not all the time... power goes to the wheel with the least traction... so if you took your driveshaft out and tried to move it may go a few feet and then will try to spin the other shaft you pulled out and you wont move.
    If you lock your hubs in with it in "lock" then you are in 4x4 mode
    if you unlock your hubs in lo or high (not lock) you wont move to far...
    if you unlock your hubs in "lock" you will be in 2 wheel drive... but your front driveshaft is still turning.

get it?
    if not just ask again I'll explain more... I put mine in high and pulled the front driveshaft... went to 20 mph and that was it... it realized there was no power up front so the 203 decided it needed to send power to the front non-existant driveshaft... i was stuck... 1/2 mile down my rode...

-Aaron

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hey dan You can put it in hi range not lock and then unlock the hubs and You have 2 wheel drive (and your front driveshaft WILL not turn that way)pull the shift boot and look at it while moving....mike

10. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey, low and high are 2x for me and low loc and high loc are 4x. i have warn lock outs on my front and it is a 203. if it is in high or low, my fron driveshaft wont turn or move unless i go into low or high lock or lock the hubs.

NITRO

11. newbe73

see thease guys prove me right drive shaft does not turn . make shuer you got your [censored] strate gokartergo ,befor you try to prove me wrong

12. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Yo Chris no need for the Hostile remarks. I'm not tring to mediate anything but Freeken Chill out. We are all Newbeees.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif And all Family. Allliiiggghhhhttt.

13. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

From all your posts I never would have guessed you were a jr. in high school.I canalso tel bie yerspelin dat publik skol aint workun fer u. Now quit being a dick and go home /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

14. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey man, im a frosh in high school. but i know my sh!t.

NITRO

15. gokartergo

If you read my reply it was a quistion... I do not now anything about this t-case.. I was not trying to prove you wrong....Chill out...Dan

16. NE79

NE79 1/2 ton status

I assume you have locking hubs on the front, or you would have said otherwise. I'm not sure how the part time kits work, but if it is regular full time 203, i think this is how it goes:

Hi and Lo- t-case acts like an open diff. thus any free wheel will spin, front or back.
    Hi loc and Lo loc- t-case gives 50% to front and rear, like regular.

With hubs unlocked, all the torque geos to the path of least resistance, i.e. front shaft. So...
    without a part time kit, and hubs unlocked, you need to keep the case in loc to go anywhere, and both shafts will spin. With the hubs locked, Hi and Lo (not loc) will act like full time case.

Hope i got that right/it helped

17. jc79 chev

jc79 chev Newbie

I have a 203 with part time kit, in my blaz low is rear wheels only even if the manual hubs are locked in, low lock is front and rear. Same goes with high range.

18. gokartergo

Thanks everybody... I think I understand how it is supposed to work.. I just have to get the motor running and make sure.. As for newbe73.. I pm'd you and asked for a apology and you laughed at me..... Listen you little turd.....grow up. And while I don't pretend to be the smartest person around.. at least I can spell past a third grade education.. Grow up and listen to these people before you spout your mouth off. You can learn a lot here..I have..Dan

19. 4x4machine

4x4machine Registered Member

Just wondering, why would GM ever use this transfer case, i've often wondered this. Is there any advantage to the 203 over other transfer cases??

I wish I could get rid of my 203, but time and $$ are issues...

20. gokartergo

I think it was there first tries at full time four wheel drive.. Also from what I understand these were chain driven.. Not gear driven... I am learning a lot fast about these 203's.Dan