Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

about 4 inchs away from death

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speed_deed, Feb 28, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

So I took the front pass. side tire off and took it to goodyear to get it re-mounted. They charged me $15 for it and they didnt even balance it. Anyway the damn tire wont even hold air now so I went to harbor freight and bought another floor jack so I could move rotate my tires. I get 2 done and took off one more and proceeded to take off another when I realize that the shock was wiggling all around so I disconnected it and was trying to take it off when i decided to quit for the night. I already had the jack stands under itand started to lower the k5 when my lab crawled underneath it layed down and started waggin his tail and knocked the stands overi twisted the handle back to stop it from lowering and crawled underneath my k5 to bitch slap the dog (keep in mind hat there is no shock or tire on the drivers side off the axle.) and all of the sudden phhsswwuuoopppthe whole k5 came crashing down onto the ground and stopped about 4 inches before it smashed my face. It was really wierd because my neighbor actually just died of the same thing a week ago in his driveway. He was working on one of those little school buses. I feel rather ignorant about the whole deal actually. [​IMG]

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Damn, that will make you think twice.

3. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

It was a adreniline rush alright. Tommorow the dog wheres the shock collar out there.

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

HOLY SMOKES!!!
    Glad you were able to make it out unharmed. My dog thought he was going to help me pull my tranny and case out. he crawled right under there and laid down. As soon as it moved he bolted to the back yard.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the <a target="_blank" href=http://mandydyer.tripod.com/55WillysWagon4x4.htm>damn thing</a>!!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Think that's bad...last July I was under my truck and I had it locked in 4wd. I pulled the rear driveshaft and my good 'ol 208 popped out of 4wd and the truck started rolling with me underneith.

It rolled downhill about 500 feet where the rear bumper plowed into the ground, bending the frame and the floor of the bed.

I'm glad I'm alive...screw the truck.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

holy !@# that scares the [censored] out of me.. tonite I was under my truck on 4 jackstands, axles removed, thinking about just how gnarly it would be if the thing fell on me.. id be a F-ing pancake. its really scary, and safety has GOT to be a priority when working with something that big and heavy.

so how is the dog???? whats the story with the neighbor?

mike

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Damn that was a close one.
    I always make sure that there is a stand under a rig even if I am only changing a tire.
    Back in 1990 when I was in the Navy I had a 78 T/A that was in the base storage yard.
    I was getting it out and was gonna tow it to my house with a tow bar. Well it had a flat front tire and I had this POS scissor jack, I was changing the tire and my buddy ducked under the front to hook up the tow bar.
    Just as wait till I get the tire on was leaving my mouth the jack fell over and the front landed on his head.
    To this day If I never hear screams like that it will be too soon.
    Somehow I picked the front off the ground and my other buddy grabbed his legs and pulled him out.
    Jim is screaming like nothing I have ever heard and blood is everwhere, coming out his ears and one eye.
    we call for a medic and start treating Jim for shock and try to keep him awake. I am wiping blood from his face telling him that everthing is ok and he is moaning that he can't see .
    All the while thinking "oh man he is gonna die right here in my arms".
    15 minutes go by and Bryon is realy freakin out, the base hospital is only a 5 min walk away.
    Almost 30 minutes after we called the ambulance shows up and Bryon just goes ape sh1t on them and is taken away by Shore patrol.
    Aperently the stupid assholes were trying to figure out who should respond, the civilans or the base.
    The lifeflight him out to Bethesda in D.C. and Bryon and I go home and tell his ol lady what had happened, at first she thought we was goofin around untill she realized that I was covered in blood.
    We jump in my rig and haulass for D.C. and stay the night at the hospital.
    The next day they allow him to go home saying that he will need some minor surgery. We are all breathing a big sigh of relief and go home.
    That night while dinner was cooking we were watching tv and he sneezed, he starts screaming and I look over at him and his freakin eyeball is hanging down the side of his face.
    We manage to get him calmed down enough and I put his eye back in, something I hope to never have to do again as long as I live.
    We pile in the truck and haulass back to base and the stupid fawks look him over and tell him that he needs surgery and not to sneeze or cough.
    Back to D.C. we go.
    They cut his scalp from ear to ear and peeled his face down to his chin.
    They then removed the front part of his skull and wired it back together and picked a bunch of bone from his brain.
    His sinuses were shattered and when he sneezed it shot a slug of air behind his eye which made it pop out.
    He has a vidio of the whole operation.
    He was given a medical discharge a year later.
    Some how I lost contact with him in 94.
    Everytime I am working under a rig I think about that.
    It is not something that is forgotton very easy.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Man, that sounds way too close. BTW, how long did it take to pry the denim from between your cheeks? LMFAO-j/k. You can never be too careful under 5000 lbs of Bowtie. Glad to hear all you got was scared.

1-800-MARINES When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight!!!!

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Speed,

Go back to Harbor Freight and get 2 sets of those 12 Ton Jack stands!!!!! They have a 30" lift range and they're HUGE!!!!!!

I'd say your life is worth $160 or so......wouldn't you?

Be safe.....(That's for ALL of us!) [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Pulling the tranny on my burb, I had all 4 ends lifted on those 12 ton jacks with a good 8 inches under the tires in the air. I was always worried that the 6,500 lb thing would fall on me. If anything, I left the tires on, so it wouldn't have squashed me, just knocked me around real nice.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You need a dog like mine. His tail is only 3" long, just enough to let you know when he's excited, but not long enough to do any damage. And no, we didn't trick it out, he came that way stock. His brother didn't even get a tail.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Scary stuff! Glad that you're OK.

In addition to jack stands, I also like to lay the tires/wheels under the truck while I'm working on it. That way, even if it does somehow manage to fall off the jack stands, it still won't fall all the way to the ground.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

13. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

Harry,

Yeah my dad taught me to do that too!!

Shoeless
    '88 K5

14. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

thats the gnarliest F-ing story ive heard in a while, ron. unbelievable.

mike

15. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

I remember about 20 years ago one of my dads good friends was working on a metal framing job doing the out side walls and that morning the concrete truck showed up to pour the front slabs .well Everything was going ok but there was a hill in front of the bldg so the cement truck had to go up the hill to back up for a better position to pour .It was about 50 feet up the hill when the tranny broke and sent the truck rolling backwards towards the bldg (full of concrete) well my dad saw the truck rolling and yelled to ivan to get out of the way but when ivan tried to run his foot got caught in a pallet and he was not able to move then bang the truck rolled right into him crushing him into the 10 gauge steel studs on the bldg. the truck rolled into it about 4 feet .when the got the bulldozer and yanked the cement truck out ivan was cut in half from the steel he died instantly from the impact it was a f**cking horrible sight to see .At that time ivan was 35 years old with 3 kids .to this day when I am on a job I always remember how one simple f**k up can change your life forever .here it is 20 years later and I remember it like it was yesterday .You can never be to careful when it comes to big heavy steel you gotta take the extra time to make it safe to work on anything cause murphys law says if it can go wrong it will and thats the truth.........................

1988 k-5 blazer 5.7

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I just read that story to my wife. Now she knows why I didn't buy the cheapest jack-stands on the market.

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

17. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Bet you threw those shorts away, glad your ok.

AAAhhhh Christ a IFS Blazer, jeez its stock too, does it get any worse??? Could be a ford.

18. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

A couple months ago one of my friends was working on his rig. He went to lower it onto concrete blocks and about 30 seconds after letting it off the jacks, one of the blocks completely exploded and the whole thing came crashing to the ground. Luckily no one was under it but chunks of the block went through the drywall.

19. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> You are damn lucky !!! Go buy a lottery ticket ! If you win though, you have to share it with me. All kidding aside, I'm glad you're o.k. !

20. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

same thing happened to a friend of mine. if it had been a real car it would have squished him good. however it was only a 69 vw bug so we just jump up and picked the car up long enough for him to craw out.