Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?? about 6.2 installation and swap... *UPDATE!*

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jarheadk5, Jul 11, 2004.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Did the '80s 1/2-ton trucks come with Hydroboost brakes, or was there something else done for brake boost?

I may have a line on a mid-80s 1/2-ton diesel pickup w/auto for a good price (GET IT OUT OF MY YARD AND IT'S YOURS!) and I'm thinking it'll be a great donor for a 6.2 swap into my K5. It's allegedly got a broken rear (I suspect Gov-Bomb but don't know yet...) and is cosmetically dead. Some questions:

-What should I be looking for on the engine to ensure I'm not setting myself up for massive, painful failure? Stuff like common leak locations, shady repairs, missing accessories, that sort of stuff. Oh, and what's the deal with the glowplugs?

-Which axle gear should I go with? I have a line on an 8-lug D44 and 14FF that I intend to install; one is 4.11 and one is 4.56. The combo (if the 6.2 is good) will be 6.2 / 700R4 / 208 or 241, and tire size will be 35 or 36". 37's could be in the future, but only after the 35's are dead... There will be some highway driving to get to the fun stuff, and maybe some light towing (3-4K), but it probably won't be a DD.

- Anyone know Pennsylvania's laws regarding engine swaps? Or know where I can find them online? Or who to call and ask? I've Googled this, but haven't found much. Plus I searched the PA DMV site but that didn't yield anything either.

If anyone thinks of other stuff I missed, please post it up here.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: ?? about 6.2 installation and swap...

Did the '80s 1/2-ton trucks come with Hydroboost brakes, or was there something else done for brake boost?

All the diesel trucks got hydro-boost, so you'll be good to go there.

I may have a line on a mid-80s 1/2-ton diesel pickup w/auto for a good price (GET IT OUT OF MY YARD AND IT'S YOURS!) and I'm thinking it'll be a great donor for a 6.2 swap into my K5. It's allegedly got a broken rear (I suspect Gov-Bomb but don't know yet...) and is cosmetically dead. Some questions:

-What should I be looking for on the engine to ensure I'm not setting myself up for massive, painful failure? Stuff like common leak locations, shady repairs, missing accessories, that sort of stuff.

Common problems are leaks at the rear main seal. Dead glow plugs, crappy starter, and the earlier years had lift pumps that could allow fuel to drain back causing hard starts.

Oh, and what's the deal with the glowplugs?

Welp, a diesel uses the extreme heat generated by compression (21.5:1) to spontaneously combust the fuel when it's sprayed into each cylinder. When the motor is cold there just isn't enough heat present without some artificial aid. The glow plugs are basicly electrical hot spots that aid in getting the whole ignition deal happening during a cold start. Once the motor is running the GP's will just sit there and do nothing and the motor will generate enough heat all on it's own.

Without good GP's (and all the related parts of the GP system) hard starting is the result.

This can lead to premature starter failure, because as you could well imagine cranking a motor over with 21.5:1 CR is a lot of work.

-Which axle gear should I go with? I have a line on an 8-lug D44 and 14FF that I intend to install; one is 4.11 and one is 4.56. The combo (if the 6.2 is good) will be 6.2 / 700R4 / 208 or 241, and tire size will be 35 or 36". 37's could be in the future, but only after the 35's are dead... There will be some highway driving to get to the fun stuff, and maybe some light towing (3-4K), but it probably won't be a DD.

With a 700R-4 and a 35-37" tire either ratio will work fine, however I'd lean towards the 4.56's for better performance, and the 4.10's for better economy. Ideal rpm's for economy is about 1800-1900 rpm and that's about where you'd be with 37's. 4.10's might net you another 1-2 mpg, but it may be at the expense of tranny reliability.

- Anyone know Pennsylvania's laws regarding engine swaps? Or know where I can find them online? Or who to call and ask? I've Googled this, but haven't found much. Plus I searched the PA DMV site but that didn't yield anything either.

If anyone thinks of other stuff I missed, please post it up here.

If you do the swap put both truck side by each and swap everything. I went as far as to swap the engine bay wiring harness (it just unplugs at the junction box) as well as installing the diesel dash (GP light and "Diesel fuel only" fuel gauge)

The fuel tank you have can be flushed and re-used.

Things I personally would not attempt to re-use again:

Glow plugs...just get a new set of AC60G's and forget about them
    Glow plug relay...get a new one, mine died within a couple of weeks
    Starter...most used 6.2 starters suck, and the gear drive (28MT) is the hot ticket. Spendy, but well worth the money.

Batteries should be matched, and preferrably new. A couple of good batteries may get you by but the weaker one will suck the life out of the stronger one and they'll both die.

Battery cables...1 guage rocks, so do soldered connections.

Get the Haynes diesel manual. It has a ton of good info and helps a lot for understanding what it what and how it works.

I personally did my swap while unemployed and very short of cash, so these are all issues I ran into doing it the hard way. I re-used every part that I could in order to get my truck back on the road...then replaced almost all of it in the first few months. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

It is a very worthwhile swap though, and once you get your head wrapped around how it works you'll likely never want to run a gas engine again. I never thought I'd feel this way about a diesel...but I do.

Rene

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Re: ?? about 6.2 installation and swap...

Swaps are a big under taking. I would recommend a complete donor truck. There is a difference in fuel tanks. The diesel fuel pickup in the tank has a bypass in it. If the fuel gels and plugs the strainer it will draw fuel after the strainer, gassers don't. It may or may not ever be an issue.
    I had a '85 1 ton crew cab with 427 gas and a '83 suburban 6.2 diesel. My brother in-law and myself swaped the diesel in a weekend. Drove the truck in Friday night, diesel powered by sunday night. Two long, busy days.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Rene and Dan, thanks for the info!

OK, got some more info from my cousin tonight:
    Truck is an '87, 2wd 1/2-ton, and it runs. I forgot to ask about mileage... His cousin offered to start it for my cousin, and it fired right up. It's been parked for a few months due to some bad noises coming from the rear axle, but it will still move under it's own power. Until the noises started, it was a daily driver. Within the last year, the timing chain set, harmonic balancer, and water pump were replaced, and the trans (700R4) was rebuilt almost 2 years ago. He's got a couple new relays for the glow plug system, a new set of glowplugs, and a couple other spares he'll throw in. Oh, and the body is still in decent shape. He wants the batteries, and a couple interior pieces, and for $300 it's mine. My plan is to get it to my driveway (probably on a trailer behind my cousin's K5) and park it next to my K5, and work on it at my leisure. Not that I have a choice; I'm only part-time employed right now, money's tight, and the back half of my K5 is trying it's best to rust it's way off the frame...

So, here's the next round of questions:
    - Is $300 a fair price for what I'm getting? Basically what I'm taking is the engine and all required accessories for it, the rad. core support, the 2wd steering box for crossover, and maybe a couple body items (hood, tailgate, maybe a front outer fender). My cousin wants the pass. side door and front outer fender. The rest will be offered here, then on E-Bay, and whatever's left will likely be scrapped.

- Glowplugs Part II - I should have asked the original GP question better. What I wanted to know was about the different kinds of GP's, the issues with them, and how to tell what's in there. I read before that certain GP's tend to be a cast-iron b!tch to remove; how do I tell what's installed currently? What's the difference between the different part #s? And what's the best way to get the old ones out?

- Is there an easy way to convert a 2wd 700R4 to a 4wd, or are we talking about total disassembly?

- What is the big deal about the "J-code intake"? Would this truck have one? How do I tell? If I don't have one, and it's the thing to have, where do I look for one? What's a reasonable price?

- Fuel system. Can I pull the fuel pickup/sending unit out of the PU's tank(s?) and drop it in my K5 tank (34gal), or is something else required? I seem to recall Rene saying he re-used his gas tank on his K5 after flushing it, but I don't recall the details.

- Since I'm not particularly timeframe-limited, should I be thinking about an engine rebuild or anything like that while the motor's out? I do want to eventually throw a turbo on it (like arveetek did), but that's WAAAY down the line. I'm not looking to bomb it out, just something for a little extra "oomph" and to keep the power up at altitude (3-4000ft in the Poconos in PA, and maybe someday out West...)

5. tRustyK5

Rene and Dan, thanks for the info!

OK, got some more info from my cousin tonight:
    Truck is an '87, 2wd 1/2-ton, and it runs. I forgot to ask about mileage... His cousin offered to start it for my cousin, and it fired right up.

Flashing right up is a good sign. It tells you at least the basic maintenance has been done and compression is likely within range.

It's been parked for a few months due to some bad noises coming from the rear axle, but it will still move under it's own power. Until the noises started, it was a daily driver. Within the last year, the timing chain set, harmonic balancer, and water pump were replaced, and the trans (700R4) was rebuilt almost 2 years ago. He's got a couple new relays for the glow plug system, a new set of glowplugs, and a couple other spares he'll throw in. Oh, and the body is still in decent shape. He wants the batteries, and a couple interior pieces, and for $300 it's mine. My plan is to get it to my driveway (probably on a trailer behind my cousin's K5) and park it next to my K5, and work on it at my leisure. Not that I have a choice; I'm only part-time employed right now, money's tight, and the back half of my K5 is trying it's best to rust it's way off the frame...

So, here's the next round of questions:
    - Is $300 a fair price for what I'm getting? Basically what I'm taking is the engine and all required accessories for it, the rad. core support, the 2wd steering box for crossover, and maybe a couple body items (hood, tailgate, maybe a front outer fender). My cousin wants the pass. side door and front outer fender. The rest will be offered here, then on E-Bay, and whatever's left will likely be scrapped.

$300 is a steal IMO. A running 6.2 all by itself usually goes for anywhere from double to triple that amount here, especially if it can be seen running.

- Glowplugs Part II - I should have asked the original GP question better. What I wanted to know was about the different kinds of GP's, the issues with them, and how to tell what's in there. I read before that certain GP's tend to be a cast-iron b!tch to remove; how do I tell what's installed currently? What's the difference between the different part #s? And what's the best way to get the old ones out?

Most likely the old GP's will just unscrew and pull right out. Sometimes they mushroom at the tip and that part of the GP will not want to come through the hole.

The 9G's, 11G's etc (factory GP's) all were prone to burning out and mushrooming. The AC60G's are a constant duty GP and can easily be left on for minutes at a time without harming them.

- Is there an easy way to convert a 2wd 700R4 to a 4wd, or are we talking about total disassembly?

I am almost certain it can be converted, but have no idea how much of a pain it would be. If your K5 has a decent 700R-4 in it all you should need is the diesel specific torque convertor. At any rate, this might be a better question for the 73-91 board or even the garage if you feel like sifting through the BS.

- What is the big deal about the "J-code intake"? Would this truck have one? How do I tell? If I don't have one, and it's the thing to have, where do I look for one? What's a reasonable price?

That truck should be a 'C' code which is an EGR equipped intake. The big deal about the 'J' code intake is that it is completely open and flows a ton better. Any 3/4 ton or one ton with a 6.2 will have the 'J' code manifold.

If you have time, snag a 'J' code manifold and port match the intake ports to the gasket and blend the bowl as well. I did mine in about and hour with a small carbide burr and an air powered die grinder. The port size in the gasket and the heads is way more 'accurate' than the actual intake so there are some relatively easy gains to be made there.

[​IMG]

That is the bowl blend I did. You could go farther and completely remove the divider...

[​IMG]

These are the ports matched to the gasket. The gasket opening is 1"x2" and on my intake there were large areas I was removing up to 1/4" of material.

The bead blasting was under $20 too...

- Fuel system. Can I pull the fuel pickup/sending unit out of the PU's tank(s?) and drop it in my K5 tank (34gal), or is something else required? I seem to recall Rene saying he re-used his gas tank on his K5 after flushing it, but I don't recall the details.

Simpler yet, flush tank and use the existing sender. To flush I undid the supply line at the front crossmember (where a SBC mech pump would be) and using a rag and some compressed air pressurized the fuel tank to about 3-4 psi through the filler neck. Basically I'd add air until the fuel began to run out the line, then as it would peter out I'd add a bit more air until all that came out was air. Then I added about a half gallon of diesel and did the same...then filled it with diesel.

- Since I'm not particularly timeframe-limited, should I be thinking about an engine rebuild or anything like that while the motor's out? I do want to eventually throw a turbo on it (like arveetek did), but that's WAAAY down the line. I'm not looking to bomb it out, just something for a little extra "oomph" and to keep the power up at altitude (3-4000ft in the Poconos in PA, and maybe someday out West...)

I'd do the intake mods, valve cover gaskets while they're accessible, and a rear main seal while it's on a stand...unless you have money falling out yer butt. A 6.2 is a bit spendy parts wise to rebuild, so I wouldn't do it if it still runs decently and stuff.

Rene

6. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Regarding the GP's. Minor point but just for clarification, I think the 11G's are positive temp coeficient like the 60G's (faster heating though)- they just were an order of magnitude less reliable. The 9G's were the mushroom canidates. Some people actually prefer the 11G's after they assemble a relaible set (lots of failures to find a good set of keepers).

7. tRustyK5

Thanks Mark /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hey, when you did the gas tank- was yours a TBI gas tank before, with the in tank pump?

Im working on an auxilary tank setup using a TBI gas tank- Have the sender, pump, and wiring. (this is for my veggie setup).

There are a few mods I would like to do to the tank before I install it-

1. Drain hole- Should I put one in? My gut tells me I should.
    2. Filter sock- Im gonna have a downstream 30 micron filter, and would rather replace that than to replace an in tank sock. Can I just chuck it?

9. tRustyK5

Mine was a standard '83 or '84 tank. It was originally a diesel tank, but I did use it for gasoline for a year or so before I swapped the 6.2 in.

Rene

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Huh... That intake kinda reminds me of one of those "NASCAR" intakes that Pace Parts or SDPC sells for a SBC...

As I understand diesels, there isn't anything in the air intake path except the piping and a filter. No throttle body, etc. So what would be the benefit of removing the divider in the bowl, or even cutting it down halfway?

11. tRustyK5

The point is to remove as much restriction as is practical. The limit on max airflow on a NA diesel is the smallest and most restrictive part of the intake. We're not interested in turbulent air, or air/fuel atomization so being smooth and as big as is practical is what'll allow the most air to flow.

When my intake was off I measured the ports in the head and they were cast pretty accurately, certainly very close the 1"x2" size on the gasket.

Really, the place it should help the most is towards the top end of the RPM range when each cylinder only has a very short time to draw in a full charge of air. Personally I rarely shift mine at over 3000 rpm and have only found the governed limit once.

Apparently the later model 'J' code intakes do not have that center divider, so it looks as if GM thought a little more intake flow was a good thing too. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Either way, it's a relatively cheap mod.

Did you pick the truck up yet? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Rene

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Not yet; I got sick Monday night and was down hard Tuesday and most of Wednesday. Thursday was catch-up-from-the-down-days day and today... well today just wasn't my day. I gotta call my cousin this weekend and see if we can go look at it early next week, then try to find some $$ to throw at his cousin with the promise of the rest to come soon.
    Sounds like a plan.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I got sick Monday night and was down hard Tuesday and most of Wednesday. Thursday was catch-up-from-the-down-days day and today... well today just wasn't my day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had weeks like that.../forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Hope you're feeling better and you can get that truck!

Rene

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Going to check the truck out in a few minutes. If it looks OK mechanically, I negotiate a payment plan (they're slightly-distant family, and chomping at the bit to get it out of the yard) and hopefully bring it home this weekend...

Wish me luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. tRustyK5

Good luck Ken!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Rene

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Good luck!
    You are on the right path and have a good master plan. Price is a steal also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!

The 60Gs are the latest, greatest GPs from GM. They heat a little slower than the originals and may require a manual switch in the cold weather.(Mark wouldn't know about that /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) John Kennedy, www.kennedydiesel.com, offers quick heating aftermarket GPs for around the same price as the factory ones.

While you have it out, now would be the time to replace any leaking gaskets. Also get new GM starter bolts, for less than $5 it's cheap insurance for broken bolts.

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Saw the truck tonight. 164K on the motor, less than 10K on the rebuilt 700R4.
    Appearance is so-so. Some minor rust, couple dents. The sheetmetal I want from it is decent.
    Mechanically, it seems OK. 5 seconds of glowplugs and it fired right up with about 3 seconds of cranking. I forgot to look at the oil pressure, but my cousin said the gauge was indicating. The oil was changed about 2 weeks before it was parked, which was at the beginning of this year. It didn't look or smell bad. The fuel filter (big rectangular block on the firewall) looked fairly new. There appears to be a minor fuel leak on the left-side, rear-most cylinder's injector line. There was dirt built-up on and around it, but it didn't look wet and wasn't dripping. There is a block heater of some sort installed. The PS box is loose on the frame, looks like the frame had been repaired there once before (I didn't know 2wd's had the frame/steering box problem too...). Box itself looked good, didn't see any leaks. Hydroboost M/C looked OK; rusty, but no leaks I could see. No visible leaks in that big-ass radiator, and there appears to be a stacked-plate trans cooler installed. There is a loop of hard tubing between the rad and the fan; the lines look like they go under the left side of the engine. Is that an engine oil cooler?
    It's not drivable on the road. No registration, the PS box issue, plus an un-diagnosed rear axle clunk/bang. The box and axle issues are the reasons it was parked. So the plan is to rent a flatbed trailer and tow it to my house, maybe next weekend.

After reading all the above, does $300 still sound like a good deal?

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Saw the truck tonight. 164K on the motor, less than 10K on the rebuilt 700R4.
    Appearance is so-so. Some minor rust, couple dents. The sheetmetal I want from it is decent.
    Mechanically, it seems OK. 5 seconds of glowplugs and it fired right up with about 3 seconds of cranking. I forgot to look at the oil pressure, but my cousin said the gauge was indicating. The oil was changed about 2 weeks before it was parked, which was at the beginning of this year. It didn't look or smell bad. The fuel filter (big rectangular block on the firewall) looked fairly new. There appears to be a minor fuel leak on the left-side, rear-most cylinder's injector line. There was dirt built-up on and around it, but it didn't look wet and wasn't dripping. There is a block heater of some sort installed. The PS box is loose on the frame, looks like the frame had been repaired there once before (I didn't know 2wd's had the frame/steering box problem too...). Box itself looked good, didn't see any leaks. Hydroboost M/C looked OK; rusty, but no leaks I could see. No visible leaks in that big-ass radiator, and there appears to be a stacked-plate trans cooler installed. There is a loop of hard tubing between the rad and the fan; the lines look like they go under the left side of the engine. Is that an engine oil cooler?
    It's not drivable on the road. No registration, the PS box issue, plus an un-diagnosed rear axle clunk/bang. The box and axle issues are the reasons it was parked. So the plan is to rent a flatbed trailer and tow it to my house, maybe next weekend.

After reading all the above, does $300 still sound like a good deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah
    The engine seems like a good engine, you have everything you need for a swap and the 700 alone is worth the 300.

By the way yes, the diesels wih Auto came with a trans cooler and oil cooler.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. tRustyK5

All the 6.2's came with an engine oil cooler in the rad.

I still think you stole that truck Ken!! Our donor truck we got was more than that, and it didn't have a straight panel on it. Motor was questionable, although it seemed to have good power it also had 340,000 km's on it.

A quick start like that after sitting a while tells you compression is still good and it was probably well maintained.

I think you got a great deal...now the fun part begins! PM me if you run into any trouble. Also, get yourself a Haynes diesel manual...it'll be a big help.

Rene

20. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    does $300 still sound like a good deal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely! I paid $400 just for my non-running 6.2L engine back in 1995, and it didn't have any accessories with it! Jump on it!

Casey