Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? about a 94 sub..

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by gokartergo, Nov 26, 2003.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A friend of mine as a 94 sub.. He just called me he lost the tranny.. No reverse and all he as is first gear.. What tranny is that it is a 94 2 wheel drive. It as the overdrive.. I now they where 700R4 up to 91.. What was after that Thanks Dan /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

4L60E most likely in a 1500. 4L80E in a 2500.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Whichever he has it just blew the cage for the sun gear assembly. Common weak point in these trannies.
    Same thing happened to mine but that was becasue I let the wife drive it and she likes to hammer it right after shifting it.
    When that gear set goes it can't shift into second or fourth anymore so your stuck in first. Probably lots of debris in the fluid and I bet it smells like it's fried. When he replaces the tranny tell him to add a external cooler as well. The Burbs never had adequate tranny cooling even with the towing package. When he gets it replaced he ought to also have the shell upgraded at the same time it costs a few bucks more but eliminates one of the weakest points in those trannys (4l60E's and 700R4's).
    Two good places to check for upgrade options would be PATC
    and Bowtie Overdrives
    They can point him in the right direction for the HD parts he'll need then he can have it built by whomever he chooses, but I'd recommend BowTie Overdrives myself.