Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about a lift kit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aealliarmy, Mar 24, 2005.

1. aealliarmy

aealliarmy Registered Member

i just bought a 1988 chevy K-5 blazer and i want to put a 6" lift and 35x12.5 tires onto it. I was wondering if there was anything that i would need to do in order to put those on or if i am able to bolt them on?thanks for all help

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You'll need to regear or do a axle swap. Personally I'd do a 3/4 axle swap. Stock axle gears + large tires = burnt out auto tranny.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

You could just bolt those things on, it's a pretty easy deal .. but like Z3PR said, gearing can make all the difference.

What do you plan to do with the K5? What type of wheeling, how much ... future plans ... daily driver?

If I may make a suggestion... hold off doing anything on it right now. I know it's tempting to jump right in with both feet.. but I would suggest hanging around the forums here.. and reading on the different swaps etc that people here are doing. Depending on your future plans.. you may save yourself a lot of time and money. I'd say give it a couple to a few months, and then see if your plans have changed. Listening to others experience with different set ups (perhaps ones you had planned) could help guide you towards something better, and you'll benefit from not having to spend the money & time only to find out it has it's short commings. If, in the end you still want the first plans, then you've not really lost anything... but if you do change your mind.. the savings can be 10 fold.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Good advice.

5. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

might need longer CV/D-shafts,

longer brake lines

drop kit on Case

definanty re-gear or axle swap

LUKE

6. aealliarmy

i plan to keep it a daily driver until about december of this year . and to take it mainly in the mud and a few trails. and mainly on the weekends that i have off work.

7. blazen_1

blazen_1 Registered Member

If I may make a suggestion... hold off doing anything on it right now. I know it's tempting to jump right in with both feet.. but I would suggest hanging around the forums here.. and reading on the different swaps etc that people here are doing. Depending on your future plans.. you may save yourself a lot of time and money. I'd say give it a couple to a few months, and then see if your plans have changed. Listening to others experience with different set ups (perhaps ones you had planned) could help guide you towards something better, and you'll benefit from not having to spend the money & time only to find out it has it's short commings. If, in the end you still want the first plans, then you've not really lost anything... but if you do change your mind.. the savings can be 10 fold.

8. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

im running stock drivetrain right now and 36in iroks. no tranny probs..

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

It can be a basic bolt on. Depending on how you plan to use the rig changes how much work is needed to do it. At the least longer break lines, and lower the t-case.

Don't fall into the 1 ton or go home bull chit, it is not really a "must have".

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yet.

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

lol this truck has been running this setup for atleast 10 years.

maby the previous owner did regear :confused:

12. aealliarmy

did u have to do any fender triming to fit the tires?