Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? about afixing metal to sub box..

Discussion in 'Audio' started by LKJR, Mar 23, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok my poor a$$ has had plenty of time to think about a lot of stuff lately since I can't afford to do much. I really like the tuffy console design that steve has and I kinda want to do the console / sub box thing in the front, so has anyone every adheered metal to mdf successfully? I figure some really good adhesive w/ some of that soft say 1/8 - 1/4" styrofoam in between and some screws....
    What do ya'll think, will the rest of the box just rattle like a flying fortress on takeoff or do ya think it would do ok, want security, stealth, place to mount cb, and small amout of storage.. other option I guess is I could go with all fiberglass but that's getting into some major work and money

2. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

i just talked to my dad on this (bends and works with sheet metal alot) he said that you could use mastic adhesive or liquid nails would work just as good

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Les,

You lost me a little bit on this one....! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Are you looking to buy a Tuffy center console and add a subwoofer to it....or UNDER it somehow?

I have toyed with the idea of making all-metal subwoofer enclosures now that I have my own welder. There is no reason why you can't...most people just use MDF because that's what they have, and the tools are more common to cut and fasten it.

The only risk with building a metal box is having it SOUND like a metal box when the sub is playing. If it were me, I'd be lining the interior with a few layers of "Dynamat" equivalent matting before I installed the sub, and a little polyfill too. I've done that before and the box has a nice solid (but NOT metallic) sound to it.

So I don't know if I've answered your questions, but those are some random thoughts that might give you more "ideas" while you're just "dreaming about things..." /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well I don't really know yet, I was thinking about making a box like a tuffy and using the lower half to encase a mdf sub box. and affix the metal to the mdf. The problem with metal boxes is like you said they rattle like no get out. My thinking is the tuffy is secure and solid, and could also conceal and protect the small sub box. Haven't priced the tuffy boxes yet but I do like the one steve has and probably end up just buying one, and stick some 6x9's in the truck on a small amp and go with it, I got the system in my s-10 so I really don't need another one.

5. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

The bottom of my boxes (mounted in the side wall) are sitting on the metal, and glued with some generic old sticks anything to anything glue from wally mart. It is also glued with the back to the side wall (metal part), and works great. Also you can run around with the top off and no one can pick it up and take off with it.