Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about Amsoil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, May 26, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I've been told that by becoming a distributor for $20/yr, you can get this at cost. Anybody ever use this stuff? My friend says he uses it in his trucks, car, dirt bikes, quads, and boat. Say he buys some 25K stuff and changes oil once a year.

Could someone please elaborate?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I doubt that they will allow you to become a distributor without being a real business.

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

One more reason that I'm aksing people already in the busniess. That eliminates the questions. One friend of mine is currently doing this. He has never sold an item in over 5 years of being a distributor. He only buys for himself. I'm just tryign to get some other perspectives from other distributors.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yup. YOu buy it at their cost and if you want to resell, then you just mark it up.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

So, it's really that simple?

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Amsoil

As far as I can remember, yes. I talked a lot to Highlander (he doesn't come around anymore that I know of) and did some research on my own and that's the way I understood it.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks Bubba. I checked ou the site earlier, but was just kinda wondering if someone in the CK5 family that was doing something like this could tell me if they thought it was worth it. If the "dealer" only saves 15% or so, not much savings.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks. There is some real good info on that link.

10. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

yes amsoil is greast oil and yes teh distributorship is that easy to use.

the oil will get dirty before it wears out in most cases you have to change the filter every 15k but the oil is fine.

11. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

You might want to do some research in Usenet (Newsgroups). They are a controversial company. They push their products hard in the motorcycle arena but there are many folks who hate them. The opinions on their products are all over the map. I've heard them described as the Amway of the oil world but they have many dedicated followers. Personally, I am a fan of synthetics but I tend to think most any synthetic is good so it comes down to price.

12. huntsonora

huntsonora Registered Member

I think that AMSOIL is the best synthetic on the market today, all of the tests that I have seen prove this. AMSOIL blows MOBIL 1 out of the water. The reason you dont see it sold in stores is because these stores make a ton of money selling motor oils that need to be changed more frequently. Just my .02

Drum

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Amsoil sucks. Just my opinion.

14. Desert Rat

I think the main reason it isn't sold in stores is due to the fact that a store can't compete with a direct distributor based upon the store's much higher markup of the product. Same reasons Amway doesn't sell in stores. It is a multi-level marketing structure (legal pyramid) that allows for the profit margins to be shared by the company directly and the direct distributors. Whether or not the oil is the best is certainly subjective. Most auto stores do sell Mobil 1 and other full synthetics, some at even lower prices than Amsoil. I've read their advertisements and the counter-arguments from the other synthetic products. It still comes down to what you like, Ford/Chevy/Dodge/VW/Toyota/Nissan etc. etc. Like religion, if it works for you and makes you happy, knock yourself out.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There are stores here locally that sell Amsoil.

16. Desert Rat

I suspect that is the exception, rather than the norm. The People's Republic of Cali is fanatical about vehicles and none of the major stores in my area carry it. Type in Amsoil into any search engine (Altavista, Dogpile, Google, etc.) and see how many bazillion independent dealer sites pop up. If a site isn't a "buy from me, I'm the best", then it's a "How to start your own Amsoil business site". The first 10 pages of any of my search engines are occupied by these. It's hard to find any other sites other than those two regarding Amsoil. You have to hand it to them, they've blanketed the internet with their product. Some of the how to pages say that some retailers carry their product, but the vast majority of the push is for the MLM type sales.