Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about cutting fenders through marker light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jan 26, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am getting ready to layout and cut my fenders and I am using Yunit's measurements to do so. The question I have is when you cut through the marker light what did you do with the part of the core support that the fender bolts too i.e. the part immediatly infront of the tire where the inner fender bolts too. I am not running inners. Also what did you do with the reinforcment inside the fender after the cut.

Thanks

Ira

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

wow why are you cutting so much. I run ~4" with 37x12.50's on 15x10's. I cut the rear lip off back to the inner, and cut up as high as i could under the marker light. I rub a little bit on the inner when turned and stuffed, but's thats with my springs negatively arched (i know thats bad), but it doesn't take massive amounts of trimming to fit 37's. I remember yunits trimming it was pretty extensive. Oh yeah my axle is moved forwrd one inch too, but with no inners I think you'll be ok without cutting that much off up front. I didn't want to mess with the core support. I dunno just my .02

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am still deciding. I would like to only cut once and I have plans to run 42 TSLs when the MTRs are shot. I removed the inners to get better access to things will doing the lift, shock mounts, and axle swap and just decided to leave them out. I dont run mud unless I hit a puddle on the street:D. I might just cut enough to not hit while twisted. Before I get 42s I will be putting 56s up front also and moving the front axle as far forward as I can. I know Trusty has cut his light and still runs inners maybe he will post up what he did.

Ira

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah I like his trimming. My eventual goal is 42's as well, but I am going to keep my inners well at least as much as i can because I like a muddy tree rooted trail when i can find one. We have snow and water more often up here than you too. I don't know as far as the fender support after cutting. I have that issue on the rear cut right now my fender just sorta flaps in the wind:D Could probably get some thin strap material and make some braces to keep it from flapping.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have to charge my camera batteries, then I'll snap a pic or two.

I didn't modify the core support area, my fender is cut flush with the underside of the core support. The inner I had to tweak in that corner though. I cut a slit about 6" long and pushed both parts up and forward, then tacked them where they overlapped. It's not pretty...but from 5 feet away it's just fine. :laugh:

Rene

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Since I am not running inners I should just be able to cut that lip back to the body mount? I have already cut the bottom lip of the front of the fender flush with the core support as you can see in the is pic.
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely you can see where I have outlined my perspective cut. I might just cut the rear back to just infront of the fender bolt for now so I can get my slider length figured out.

Ira

7. tRustyK5

Yeah, that shelf under there is really only useful for bolting the inner fender to.

I'd use a larger radius on your final trim. I've never been a big fan of the 'square' cut corners...

The rear lower part of the 'proposed cut line' looks about right, you can always adjust or cut more when you get the sliders figgered out.

rene

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya that is the part that I did not like (the corners) I need to figure out a way to make it smoother. No point in cutting fenders until I get my brake issue figured out:doah:.

Ira

9. tRustyK5

I made a cardboard template and used that to trace out my cut lines. That way all the cuts look very close to the same...

Rene

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have plenty of cardboard in the garage I should make me a template. Thanks

Ira

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Here is the template I made for my fender trimming. The red lines on top gets lined up with the body line and the other red line gets lined up with the rear of the fender by the door hinges. I am gonna try to use it for all 4 openings just flip it around for the rear fenders.
    [​IMG]

I will trim the aft lower portion when I get it against the truck. I will just wack it off where it lines up at the bottom.

Ira

Hehe I said "wack it off":D

12. tRustyK5

That was basically what I did, including using it on the rears. :waytogo:

Rene