Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About engine components and some BBC upgrades.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Apr 9, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I have a stock 454 that was out of a motorhome, and want to know what kind of horsepower and torque numbers I should see if I get an edelbrock intake, cam (thinking just the perfomer stuff), and some thorley tri-y headers. Anyone know what this combo should run? Or recommend another brand of cam?
    Due to money concerns I can't get aftermarket heads. I don't know what type heads it has now, does anyone know what types of heads chevy put in motorhomes?
    Someone posted a link a while back that could reference casting numbers, I'll find the casting number and find it out if anyone knows the link.

Edit addition:
    Another setup I was considering would be an aluminum intake (not sure which) with a Comp 268H cam and headers. What kind of RPM would this motor safely operate at? What other mods would this cam require as far as valve train goes?

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Go to www.Edelbrock.com

They have alot of performance packages and they show "their" horsepower numbers. I've heard there numbers are way off so take it with a grain of salt.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Get the casting numbers off the heads and block. Look for rectangular intake runners, if you have them, KEEP THEM.

That combo would be good for 350hp and 425hp IMHO

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know of anything that mentions the HP numbers for motorhome engines, I bet they didn't meet the same standards as the trucks. If BBC's use suffix codes, that will tell you exactly what you want.

IMO, if you don't have the money, and are looking for torque, a BBC in a motorhome is probably OPTIMIZED for torque. Removing or changing components is probably going to raise the RPM at which the peaks occur, and that really needs to be factored in to how you use your truck...mudding and a lot of other high RPM usage activities benefit even if you lose low end (as you do with a lot of "upgrade" cams) you make up for it in top end. But if you spend most of your time cruising the freeway at 2500RPM, towing, or crawling off-road, the low end is going to work better for you, which means a "small" cam.

I think headers are a good idea regardless, but until you find specs on the motor as it is, or after testing it out as is in your truck, I don't think I'd make any changes besides headers.

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'm with Dorian... the motor home has a lot of weight to haul around and is prolly setup for TORQUE. If you really want to drop a new cam in, go for the Comp Cams 11-206-3 cam kit. This is what I have in my 454. I haven't actually dyno'd the truck yet, but it sure as he!! made more power than the old energy 4x4 cam I used to have! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Just my .02

-Dan

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

7. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Mor-Tec.com has a good site with all of the block and cylinder head casting numbers. That might help you find out what you have.