Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About exhaust......please respond QUICK.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Jan 9, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Ok, the '88 Blazer I just bought is in dire need of a new exhaust system. I figured, since I'd probably be going to a bigger lift, that I would just go ahead and put dual exhaust on it. Since it's fuel injected, I didn't really want to mess with putting on headers and messing with the O2 sensor, so I was thinking about the exhaust that bolts to the stock manifolds. Ok, I called Jeg's and Summit......the response was, "We don't have that kind of exhaust for that vehicle, only for trucks." So what I was wondering is, could i buy a manifold dual exhaust system for an '87 Chevy PU and put it on this Blazer. I know that I would have to cut some pipe and stuff to make it fit, but would it work?? I think the manifolds are the same and it would work, but am I right?? Thanks

Alex

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

this is purely speculation but I am guessing that it should work, not really sure why it wouldnt anyway.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

3. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

I have the Dynomax system for Jegs for 73-87 chevy 4x4 pickup. The system works great and hooks right up to the stock manifolds, but you will have to work with the tailpipes a little bit to keep them from hitting the gas tank.

Casey 86K5

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://86blazer.coloradok5.com>http://86blazer.coloradok5.com</A>

4. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

It's the same thing.....I checked into it when i put new exhaust on. Parts stores called it just a standard dual kit. Only difference might be length.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have a p/u dual exhaust system on my K5, and it works good, it took a while for me to cut them to the right length cause I didn't want to cut 'em too short but it worked.

[​IMG]

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about taking out the CAT or are you looking for a CAT back Dual exhaust?

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you can find it, mid 80's K5 6.2 diesel true duals will bolt right up, if anyone makes a kit. If GM still sells it, its probably REAL expensive. Bolted right up to my 350.

Dorian

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You know a muffler shop can make you anything you want. Usualy its not far off from the "Kits". The only thing most can't do is mandrell bend but on a K5 they don't have to have tight bends since it has plenty of room. I talked the local Muffler Shop down to $200 installed including 2 2chamber Flowmasters and Aluminized pipe for the Duals on my wifes 79. Same shop just did cat back on my Supra including a real nice Chrome tip and it is far less restrictive than the stock set up. They did it for $180 installed.
    I seriously doubt your going to beat that price with a pre made system and you still have to install it and pay for shipping. Best thing to do I find the place all the local hot roders use. Walk in with a Jegs and get them to sell you the mufflers for the same price. They still made some money off them at Jegs price.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree with grim-reaper i had all new pipe put in from the manafolds back and 2 3chamber flowmasters put in 4 $220

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I "3rd" that. [​IMG] I had full dual from the manifolds back with a X-over tube, welded aluminized mufflers and chrome tips behind the rear wheels, all aluminized with a warranty for $210. To do it myself with a kit would have cost $250 and the whole thing would have been clamped together instead of welded. If you run a Y-pipe into a cat with single exhaust, it should be even cheaper. Most shops will have no problem custom bending anything for any car, as long as you keep the cat and you don't want bigger than 2.5" pipe. Some shops don't even care about the cat...

<font color=blue>Powered by a Goodwrench 4-bolt longblock [​IMG]
    240hp...for now.</font color=blue>

11. 88GLAZER

88GLAZER 1/2 ton status

I live in WV and there are only two custom bending shops around. The guy gave me an estimate of 150.00 just for the y-pipe. Am I geting ripped or what? If you know anyone who can help me out pm me

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go down to your local exhaust shop and have them bend some pipes for you. As long as you're putting it on yourself, I can't see it costing anymore then the mail order pipes.

13. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

go to a muffler shop and tell them what you want. the price should even be less than you would pay for a pre-fab.