Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? About flat towing my K5.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jul 8, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well BB05 is sneeking up around the corner. I have pretty much exhausted my funds on a bunch of stuff for the K5. There is No Way I am driving it to Moab. I have a 05' QC Dodge 2500 CTD short bed. Could I flat tow the K5 with this setup? I know it wheres out the tires and all, but if I can't get a trailer or borrow one in time it seems that is my only option.

I know a guy who flat tows his Suburban with a Motorhome. (Dean) he was at BB04' last year. I am pretty sure the added wheel base and weight of his monster MH helps.

Can I do it? What would I have to do to the K5 to tow it? Remove driveshafts? Have Xfer case in Nuetral?

How much does a towbar run for the front?

Thanks guys! :wink1:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  2. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i just flat towed my 84 blazer using another 84 blazer 2,450 miles a couple of weeks ago. I just hooked up a tow bar and tow lights and went for it. Make sure you pull the driveshafts though

3. stallion85

Cool! What was your max speed or what would the max speed suggestion be.

Also, did you have any problems with the steering turning and not centering back out?

I have an NP208, If I pull the driveshaft and just tie it up to stay in the transfercase I should be fine, right?

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my max speed was 65. It got scary as hell going any faster then that. I would pull the driveshaft all the way out if it were me just to be safe. I had no problems with the steering not centering out. As long as i stayed 65 or under i had absolutely no problems.

5. mikayak390

mikayak390 Registered Member

I flat tow fairly often. Most recently I have been using my 89 suburban to tow my 77c10, a 77 dodge warlock, and multiple jeeps. I own a universal tow bar that uses chains to attach the frame of the in tow truck to the towbar itself with some tension screws to lock them together. It will tow anything that has a metal bumper and sets up in about 20 minutes, sometimes 4-5minutes, usually al little adjusting is required.
    Its rated at 8000lbs and cost me $60 from a local classified add.

I used to use them all the time about 10 years ago when I worked for uhaul. Those were a little heavier duty. I used one of those beasts to tow a 26ft international box truck with another identical truck. I avoided the city because sharp turns were not going to be fun, but it worked well. Usually they only towed a 14ft truck max. Those were f350 chasis. But still out weigh a k5 by a lot.

I am fairly sure uhaul will still rent them if you ask correctly. They are still legal, just not very popular because cars just don't have metal bumpers anymore. By asking correctly I mean "Hi I want to rent a tow bar. I will be towing with a big ass really heavy full size truck(biggest thing you can bring to the rental place) I wil be towing a 1947-1977 jeep cj5 its a stock 4cyl and weighs nothing.

The key to Uhaul is you have to have a curb weight of 750lbs or more greater than the vehicle in tow. So a big heavy 5700lb chevy would be perfectly safe towing a 2500lb jeep with big metal bumpers and solid frame. Even if by the time you take your nice tow bar out of the big heavy chevy and get confused as to what vehicle you were going to tow when you got home.

I used a uhaul truck and tow bar to tow my 70 cutlass, 65 thunderbird, 77 volare and lots of other stuff over the years.

As long as you don't drive like a moron you can even tow with similar weights. The problem is if the vehicle in tow is similar in weight it tends to wander. It is a lot harder to control something of similar weight. So you have to accelerate slower and end up with a max speed of like 55. Also its harder to stop all that weight. You really need to leave a very very safe stoping distance. Remember you have 2x the weight your brakes were designed to stop.

When my suburban tows my c10 its nice and smooth, but it knows its back there. As you get above 60 you really start to feel it wantder and tugg on the suburban. Besides the fact that the suburbans 350 just does not have the power to pull a 5500lb pickup much faster the wander makes you want to slow down. Same setup with my 59 willys in back, the burban did not know or care if it was back there. I was doing more like 70 down the highway.

Do not however try to tow a heavy thing with a light weight truck. While it is possible, it tends to end badly if the vehicle in tow is heavier than what is towing it. Thats ok at like 20mph, but after that you risk being thrown around all over the road or being flipped over on a turn.

If they do still rent tow bars, and I think they do, its like $45 a day maybe less. They used to be very cheap, but how often do you see them anymore. Oh on that note make sure to make a reservation for one early. Most places don't carry one so they will need time to transport one to the location you want it to be at. usually they transport trucks and equipment from one store to the next every two weeks or so depending on whats needed where.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes you can flat tow it. I flat towed my K5 to Colorado (1000 miles) behind my dads '05 F250. It towed pretty well. The only thing bad was braking. It was pretty heavy but it did just fine. My truck was loaded down with alot of stuff cause I was moving and the back of my dad's truck was filled too. Your truck should be a tad lighter then mine was.

You need to pull out your rear driveshaft and make sure your locking hubs are unlocked. You will loose some fluid out of the 208 but big deal. ATF is cheap. Don't try and hang the driveshaft up under the truck. Just remove it and call it good. There are no bolts that hold it in so it would be very bad if it slid out. Pop off the pinion straps and pull it out.

The max speed I hit with my truck on the towbar was 80 MPH and that was only on straight flat sections of road with no traffic. It is faster then you should probably go but it was no real problem. Just go by feel. You will know if you are going to fast. Your body and mind will tell you when you need to slow down.

Harley

7. stallion85

Awesome, great experiences guys. Makes me feel better about the idea. Harley I know you have the same tires as i do. Did you notice an increased tire wear after the trip? I have been told that it wears your tires out faster??? Doesn't make any sense, since you would either drive it or tow it the tires should wear about the same.

Also was your 14ff still welded when you did it or did you take out the spider ball?

Thanks for the help guys :wink1:

8. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i flat towed my step sons K5 back from the suburbs of Kalamazoo to burbs of Chicago, only about 150 miles, with a universal chain tow bar and my '05 Tahoe.
    we left early in the morning to avoid traffic, so consider that.

my Tahoe still got 15 mpg pulling the K5, i was very surprised by that.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I had the Detroit installed by the time I came up here. The tire wear is a non-issue. They didn't not appear to wear any faster. They actually appeared to wear very well if not better then normal driving. I had a couple new (brand new) tires put on before I left. I know for a fact that I still had the little nipples left on the tires when I got to Albuquerque (500 miles) and I am pretty sure that they were still there after I got to Fort Collins (1000 miles).

Don't worry about it. My plan right now is to buy a Dodge as soon as money will allow and flat tow my truck around Colorado, to AZ, and to Moab. The MTR's wear well enough on the street that flat towing the truck even long distance isn't going to kill the tires any time soon.

You will do much more wearing of the tires in Moab then you will towing to and from Moab. Once you get there and wheel you will understand. The slickrock is great for traction but it comes at the price of tire wear. Moab is the king of the "barking seal".

Harley

10. stallion85

:saweet:

That's fine with me:)

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Another option might be renting one of those trailers that cradle the front wheels so just the rear wheels are on the ground. :dunno: Maybe find some cheap wheels and tires you can put on the back so you don't wear your good ones out.

12. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i flat towed a 47 f*rd flatbed(like a F-650) from cleveland OH to knoxville TN with a dodge minivan, it was not my idea and i still think it was stupid but it did it, used a 2500# reese tow bar and and a class 2 hitch, i would not recommend this to anyone but i'm still here and nobody died, so your setup probably wouldnt be a problem.
    ps f*rd weighed about 6500#, minivan ?3800#? and the only thing the cops in ky had to say was we needed lights that were conected to the vans brake lights.... :haha:

13. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You can do it, just remember that you are towing a lot more weight. Antilock brakes help alot on a tow rig when you flat tow. Also remember its now the same brakes stopping almost 10k instead of 5k. Still shouldnt be aproblem, just keep it in mind when you drive, and give yourself plenty of space for turns, braking, and also going down hills.

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am going to flat tow to moab this year. After helping harley build his tow bar I decided it would work fine for occasional drives. You can find trailers on ebay for around 1K BTW

15. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

I flat tow my ’90 with 37’s on it all the time. I just towed it down to Mexico with my Class A Motorhome, including 40 miles of dirt roads. No need to remove drive shafts, that is what Neutral is for on your Transfer case. Be sure to leave the steering wheel UNLOCKED while you are towing so that it can follow the tow vehicle around turns and not be dragged across them. The whole tire wear myth is a joke; it is just coasting along.

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Finding a dolly WIDE enough for a K5, however, is tricky... especially one that's wide enough for big fat tires. I almost had to use a set of pizza cutters to get it to go onto the dolly. And U-Haul, as we know, will do anything to avoid renting you what you actually want.

-- A