Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about fuel sending units

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outlaw612, Mar 6, 2003.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im gonna be installing TBI and I have the sending unit from the donor truck. My question is, will that sending unit work in a K5 tank? I dont know the size of the donor truck tank and Im assuming its smaller than a 31 gallon. Im just worried about the reading for the fuel level.

Will this work or do I need an FI sender from a blazer?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

According to the '85/86 parts manual (yes, I know, not TBI, but same tank setup) there are NO sending units that interchange between the truck and K5 or Suburban.

Even the 20 gallon K5 tanks or the diesel tank senders won't interchange.

I'd really try and find a truck tank to compare height with...one difference that is likely (and thus a different PN) would be that the fittings for the fuel outlet could be oriented differently based on tank position. From what I could tell when I had my tank out, the sending unit fittings could really face any direction you want, but the sender itself is what determines the facing of the fittings.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

A little background....

Im not to concerned about the fittings and their orientation because Im putting the K5 tank in my K10 and Ill be running all new fuel lines anyways. Do you know if it physically would fit in the hole and the lock ring work like normal? Also, any idea if the arm for the floats are different lengths?

thanks for your help.

I'd really try and find a truck tank to compare height with...one difference that is likely (and thus a different PN) would be that the fittings for the fuel outlet could be oriented differently based on tank position. From what I could tell when I had my tank out, the sending unit fittings could really face any direction you want, but the sender itself is what determines the facing of the fittings.

4. dyeager535

Dunno about the arm lengths...I'd imagine either they would be different based on depth, or the angles they are bent would be different.

I think all GM tanks from X date to X date (no clue when, probably pre-73 to '91 for K5's) used the same sending unit mounting size/style, so it should be a drop in, barring all the other problems of course /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a trial and error process. I think Im gonna have the tank mounted through the bed so it wont be hard to change the sending unit if it wont work.

Thanks for the input.

6. dyeager535

Well, I'd suggest just measuring the depth of the two tanks before doing anything. If the depth is wrong by any significant amount, you are wasting your time, you'll end up uncovering the pickup well before the tank is empty.