Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About how many cans of spraypaint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Feb 21, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I am thinking of ghetto painting my '79 it has alot of body scraps and such, and I am sick of the white color, about how many cans per coat should it take?

Any suggestions for brand of paint? I just primer, paint, and clear coat it right? How many coats of each?

2. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

im wondering about the same thing...im gonna paint it either white with black stripes...or some type of camo....

3. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i think i used 16 depends on ur painting technic. i didnt have any money at the time so i layed it on thick. i just did primer and then color, no clear....i regret it...a flat clear of course

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you are going rattlecan then what is the point of clear? Buy at least 16 cans of each coat. I used Krylon on mine. It dries faster then rustoleum and it was very close to the factory color. I bought 2 boxes of 6 cans. had to go back and buy more. now I have several cans waiting to go for touchups.

Ryoken is the paint guy. PM him.

5. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I used ~25 cans painting a jimmy yellow. it was a different shape of yellow to start with, so it didn't need more than 2 thin coats. Black covered in a single coat, and went WAY further. From painting various tanks (propane, water system pressure tanks) white... white takes a lot of coats to cover anything.

6. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hmm. Well a buddy of mine's dad owns a car painting shop, and would charge 350 for a basic primer, color, and clear coat, should I do that or spray paint? I figured it would be about 200+ in paint

7. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thats a no brainer in my opinion. If you are already planning on dumping 200 plus in paint, just pay the extra 150 and get it done right