Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

??? about install on crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

about to install crossover on the k5 and I bought a system from shakerbuilt but there is no kingpin cap on the steering arm but it did come w/ a disk insert that just slides in and out of the steering arm hole, so my question is what do I do about the spring and stuff that the cap holds in place, do I just put the steering arm over the cap and leave the stock arm in place :confused: heres and pic of the arm [​IMG]

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

You put your stock cap over that arm. I had an axle like that. That 'insert' just goes in the stock king pin cap. It just a spacer basically, it takes up the extra inch from the steering arm.
    Make sense?

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Your question is a little confusing. You realize that the new arm goes on the passenger side, not the drivers side where the stock arm is?

Call the company, but I think you will remove the spring cap on the passenger side, install the studs, place the arm over the new studs, place the disk on top of the existing spring (it's a spacer to make up the difference of the new steering arm) and reinstall the cap on top of the new arm over the spacer disk.

OR

If the arm will fit over the existing cover (like the Rock Stomper unit), install the studs, put the arm over the cover and install the nuts .... but if this is the case, I'm not sure what the disk is for. You'll know if this is the incorrect method if the arm won't fit over the spring cap.

You can leave the existing steering arm on the drivers side in place if you'd like.

I'm assuming you know, but you will need a 2wd steering box or replace the sector shaft in your 4x4 steering box with one from a 2wd box. Then, install a special pitman arm. I didn't see it in the picture, so, I thought I'd mention it.

Eric M.

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I know it goes on the pas. side this is the info I need thanks, and i have all the parts thanks :D