Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about installing rear lug bolts/studs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott87, Mar 13, 2002.

1. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

I broke off a rear lug stud from a 10 bolt axle. Do you have to replace the entire axle shaft to fix that? Or can the studs be pulled out of the flange somehow and pressed back in? Old posts have said that the studs are part of the drum. The drums I have slide over the studs. Anyone done this fix before? The easiest would be for me to throw the whole thing in the trash, but don't have the money for what I really want right now.

2. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

They are pretty easy to replace.
    Remove your tire and brake drum.
    Pound out the old stud with a punch.
    Put the new stud in from the back.
    Put a lug nut on and crank it until the base of the stud is against the axle flange.
    Put it back together, you are done.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You are in luck. This is very easy to fix. At a parts store, buy a new stud. If you lost the lugnut, now's the time to buy another. This is also a good time to replace any other studs which are broken or stripped. Do what you need to do to keep the vehicle from falling on you and remove the drum. Use a punch to knock out the old stud. Just put the puch on the remaining part of the stud and hit it with a hammer to knock it out (towards the axlehousing). Insert new stud in place of old one. Put a nut over the stud on the outside of the flange. You may have to put the lugnut on the threads of the stud and tighten it to pull it far enough through the flange for the threads to poke out of the nut. This nut needs to fit loosely around the stud. It is only a temoporary spacer. With the new stud pushed against the back of the flange on the axle and the large nut around the protruding part of the stud, thread on a new lugnut. Tighten it against the nut/spacer to pull the new stud into place. Once the new nut is in place, back off the lugnut, remove nut/spacer, and reinstall the drum and tire. After you drive a couple days, recheck to torque of the lugnut on the new stud just to make sure. If it was me, I'd use antiseize on all my threads.

4. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

Great. Thanks for the replies.

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

just make sure if you go to autozone to tell them you need the 7/16 X 20 lug...not the 1/2 X 20 lug they will try to sell you. i found this out the hard way on mine.