Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about rear disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevystepside, May 16, 2003.

1. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

was at a junk yard and found 4 cadallac eldorados but they are from 1980-83. are they the same as the 1976-78? cause i dont have anything to compare them with. they have the e-brake built into the caliper. if anyone has run into these and knows if they will work please let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I think the spread of the newer ones is not enough for the 8 lug rotors, they should open up with pads to over 1.275"

3. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

the rotors that i'm using are six lug. i'll have to go measure the front rotors on my k5. man i hope that they measure 1.275 or bigger. the bolts that hold the calipers on look real close to the stock dimions as in the spaceing from bolt to bolt. thats for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

the calipers from the 76-78 eldorado have 7" mounting screw
    spacing, and use 1.25 wide inch rotor,

the calipers rom a 79-85 eldorado have 5.50" mounting screw
    spacing, and use 1.00 inch wide rotor,
    hope this answers your question,
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, the 79-85 calipers WILL NOT WORK with the truck front rotors.

The pin-to-pin spacing is 5" on the newer ones, the calipers are designed for 1" rotors, and the trucks run 1.25" front rotors, which is what the 7" pin-to-pin 76-78 Eldo rear calipers are designed for.

Don't waste your time, I've got a set of the 79-85's in my garage.

6. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

I just did a disc conversion on my 14bolt. I have a used/rebuilt set of 77 eldorado calipers complete with pads and hardware that I did not use. heres why #1 you have to take the caliper soff the truck to bleed em. #2 They did not open up enough to clear the brand new rotors. #3 you need a special tool to turn the caliper piston. #4 hooking up the ebrake cable was more trouble than it was worth. #5 brake pads were not readily available, I had to order them from the dealer.

my solution was to use 85 front 3/4ton rotors/calipers/pads/hardware and use a brake lock for a parking brake.

visit www.brakelock.com (well worth the investment.) PLUS now noone can steal my truck.

hope this helps.

7. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

well THATS WHAT I GOT FROM MY KIT, from tsm, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    #1 you have to take the caliper soff the truck to bleed em.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, that is true and that is a PITA.

[ QUOTE ]
    2 They did not open up enough to clear the brand new rotors

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not have that problem. I have the older TSM kit and use Ford rotors.

[ QUOTE ]
    #3 you need a special tool to turn the caliper piston.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Somebody else said that too. WHat special tool is needed? I used a socket on the ebrake nut and just turned.

[ QUOTE ]
    #4 hooking up the ebrake cable was more trouble than it was worth

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought the same thing too and put it off for a long time. Then this past week I finally just sat down and did it. It is well worth the time. Honestly, even making the little bracket for the ebrake cable wasn't even hard and I'm fairly new at welding and fabbing.

[ QUOTE ]
    #5 brake pads were not readily available

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a set at autozone. They were in stock. They are the exact same, as far as I can tell, as the pads for the Dana 44 calipers I had on there before.

Just wanted to share my experiences.

-- Mike

9. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

The tool is just a common gm disc brake caliper tool it fit's into the center of the piston and then it has a pin on 1 side the fits into the notch on the edge of piston face. Then you can turn the piston into the caliper. (does the same thing just without removing the ebrake lever). I was going to the same as you did with the cable, But I guess the question is..."are your calipers mounted forward,rearward or topcenter on the axle"? Mine are mounted forward and this would mean having the brake cable go behind the axle and underneath. I would have ripped it off wheelin. even if I mounted them rearward and swapped sides I still could not see having all that cable. I would like to see pics of how you managed to hook yours up if ya got any.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey, pretty similar info, especially with me culling that from memory /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    your calipers mounted forward,rearward or topcenter on the axle

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have them mounted up, back when I had the d44 calipers. When I went with the eldos, I had to change the position so that the ebrake caliper would be able to be pulled straight forward. So, the calipers are exactly on the rear, just like the front calipers are.

As far as brakelines go, I went to the store and bought front brake hoses for a 76 k10. I had to grind a nub off the brakehose connector (easy) but they fit fine and the hoses point directly towards the differential. Then, of course, I just have 3/16" hard line to the center connector.

I wish I hadn't sold my braided SS brakelines from when I had the 3/4 ton front axle. I could have used them on the rear calipers and I think that would be the best option.
    I'll try to post some pics of the bracket/calipers - PM me in a couple days if I get busy and forget.
    -- Mike

12. LUBA

LUBA 1/2 ton status

I am doing this conversion right now, and I also am having problems with the eldo calipers fitting chevy 3/4 ton rotors. I could not get the piston far enough in, so I took it apart. Big mistake I tried putting piston back in with a press, but I must have stripped it. Guess I got cores now. As far as the brakes I just bought albany eldo pads with a lifetime warranty for $9.99 at Autozone. These are the cheaper ones the guy there recommended these for wheeling and mud. Did you guys that run this set-up have to turn down your rotors of grind your pads to get them to fit?

13. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I did not have to grind down the rotor or pads. For a minute I thought I was going to have to, but then I got out a socket and ratchet and turned the nut back of the caliper where the ebrake lever attaches. It opened up just the last little bit. Did you try that?

I have Ford rotors, but they should be the same thickness as the Chevy ones.

-- Mike

14. LUBA

LUBA 1/2 ton status

Yes, I did and it didn't work. It ended up coming apart. I screwed it up trying to put back together. I will be buying new calipers if they are wide enough!