Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

?? About Relocating Front Spring Shackles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Feb 2, 2005.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Is it worth it to move the rear hanger for the front springs if you're NOT using longer springs? Will this improve the shackle angle for standard length front springs? I know 7.25" is the popular shackle length, does this add lift or is it equivalent to OE height?

I know 52's, etc are the hot ticket but I have some new (regular) 6" front springs that I intend to use. I'm just thinking that this might be an easy/cheap upgrade to do while I have a bare frame to work with.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

right now i am running o.r.d frt shackles w/ 4" stock length springs & my shackle angle suxs bad, i think yours will be worse cause of the 6" springs i think a longer shackle w/ the top mounting piont moved foward would deffently help

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I believe I'm the first person to do this on a full bodied machine, I got the idea from baddog

http://community.webshots.com/user/tim84k10

Check it out.

I measured the total arc of the springs and figured out how long a shackle I'd need to keep them off the frame no matter how far they compressed and ran with that.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I too did this mod in december. I got the idea form Tim's webshots. I know i posted pics and some info about it before. I can post them again or find the old post.
    I used 6" center to center shackles that i made out of 2" x .250" flat stock. Pretty easy mod overall. I know my truck rides better but i also put in new greasable bushings all the way around and a 2.5" shackle flip from ORD all at the same time. Also rebuilt my rusty spring packs.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's a fuzzy pic but it shows my crappy shackle angle with 6" front springs and an extended shackle. I plan to move mine like Tim did unless I sell the truck first.

[​IMG]

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

How did you do at the RTC on the RTI ramp? Any pictures?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I outflexed every fullsize there except one with a 1/4 eliptical rear. My rear flex is still limited by stock shock mounts, I'm going to do something about that before Tellico.

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Wasn't the first competition RTI ramp and engineering? Looks like only 3 fullsized behind you and 6 or 7 ahead of you:dunno: Are the RTI scores anywhere in the article?