Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about SM465 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Aug 14, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

th400 to 465 I am planning on doing this swap over the winter and am in need of a list of parts needed and approximate prices to pay for them used. I know the obvious of trans, bell housing, pedal assy. How much should I expect to pay for each and what else might I need?

2. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know about the prices, but I just did this and it's not somethin you want to expect to get done in a couple of days the first time.

I did have to buy a new longer driveshaft though for the modest shackle flip lift in the rear. Seems to be workin out pretty well so far.

Have fun. :haha:

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

If you plan on doing a body lift,by all means do this first.Having the extra room is a bonus.Is this a mechanical or hydro setup you're swapping in?My donor rig was mechanical so that's the way I went.Since I had the pedal assembly out ,I put in new bushings and sleeve,think it cost like $10,new return springs $20, a hand full of :hack: :grind: blades and wheels.Oh, and a lot of beer.....

5. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

I am currently breaking an 81 crew cab, 454/465/205. If you want, I'll sell you the complete conversion, you pull (I'll help) so you have every thing you need, and know where and how it goes. This would be a mechanical linkage, as opposed to hydraulic. Let me know if this sounds interesting.
    Jimbo

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I think I would take either. I've never driven a standard trans full size chevy before but I am really wanting to swap. I don't really care if it is mech or hydraulic. No body lift here this is just a daily driver/tow rig for family camper. I've been quoted $250 for trans and bell housing, $15 for crosmember, $35 for pedal assy and can have linkage for $20 mech or hyd what ever is on the truck. But the parts aren't from the same truck. Pedals and linkage from a C20 and trans from a GMC 6000. The shifter doesn't move into gear (missing clutch linkage not sure if only reason for this) and may need a rebuild. I would also need a shifter as the one with the trans sticks strait up with almost no bends and wouldn't work with our style truck. Just wondering if these are reasonable prices with the addition of flywheel and clutch ($275 approx new) and then having driveshaft lengthened.

7. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

How much $ and where are you located in NM? What is needed to use the 465 in 2WD truck, just remove t-case or are further mods needed? prob wouldn't be able to buy until Nov waiting on Student loans.

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

9. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

For swaping a 2wd sm465 tranny into your 4x4 you would have to run a divorced transfer case setup. Or you would have to change the output housing on the tranny to mate to your transfercase. Too much hassal I would say.

Also a 6000 series transmision would be a 5sp unless I am wrong. You are looking for a sm465 4spd probally only found in a 4x4 version in 1 ton and less. Never came in anything more as a 4x4 I believe.

The whole swap would be easier to just find a 4x4 tranny with transfer case.

http://coloradok5.com/auto2manual.shtml The write up may also help in your questions, don't know if you saw it.

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I am putting this in a 2WD crewcab not a 4WD, and Ive read the write up but was wanting to make sure I had a list of everything to grad it all at once and get an idea of prices to compare to what I have been quoted by my favorite local yard.

11. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

The only real difference between a 4wd and 2wd sm465 is the mainshaft and the adapter that bolts on the back of the tranny.
    I put a 2wd sm465 in my Blazer by ordering a 4wd mainshaft and buying the adapter off of ebay. If you want to use a 4wd tranny in your 2wd you will need to get a 2wd mainshaft, some new mainshaft bushings that will have to be pressed on, a drive shaft yoke and a factory 2wd adapter to bolt on the back of the trans. The adapter is also where the trans mount bolts on too.

Novak conversions website is great for ordering sm465 parts from. They have pretty much everything.

Also if you end up taking the rear adapter off, be sure to use a gasket when you put it back on. The gasket acts as a shim also.

Urm... Good luck.. hope that helps some.

12. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

My mistake, I assumed this was going into a 4x4. I don't have a 2wd version right now, but will keep on the lookout. For a 2wd setup complete, about $250-300 should get it, plus a new clutch and possibly driveline mods.
    Btw, I'm near Roswell.
    Jimbo

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thanks that does help at least I know to look for a 2WD trans to save some hassle and time.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, seperate, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a 465. There are tons of them out there, and they rarely break.

I'd keep my eyes open for the newest possible one you can find, the shift feel will be much different when you are talking about 15-20 years less wear and tear on it. :)