Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

about some remanned engine options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Nov 21, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i've been looking at remanned longblock 350's. most shops have the basic remanned engine, "premium" reman. is it really worth the hundred or more extra dollars to go premium over basic, especially considering the warranties are the same? i really need to keep my cost down, right now. and the k5 isn't my dd.

been looking at this place, lately. maybe some of the other texas guys have heard stuff on it.
    http://www.citymotorsupply.com/default.asp

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Get the Premium Long Block. It comes with everything you need except tinware...but you just swap that off the old motor. Make sure you take the serial number of your current heads when you go to pickup the motor so they can give you the correct heads. I have their engines in three different trucks and like the way they do business. I'll vouch for them as a good place to go.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

BTW, the difference is they give you an oil pump, lifters, rockers, pushrods. They install them and spin test it on a dyno like thing (doesn't run the motor) to test oil pressure and compression and prime the motor. Worth the extra cash to make sure everything is cool...no headaches later. Also, GET A NEW CAMSHAFT. It's like a $50 option to get an RV cam. Reman cams are re-ground, and if done incorrectly, will flatten out very quickly. $50 gets you a Melling camshaft, and at least in my case, gave me about 30 hp. The best part? When you go in there, they have the overbore shown on each block, so from the motors they have, you can choose the overbore you want.... :D

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

If you are willing to drive to Austin there is a place there that does good rebuilds and is used by lots of businesses with fleets of vehicle up to semi diesels. I will have to check with my dad on the name and number, but I called them a few months ago to get a quote on a rebuilt 454. $900 with 1 yr unlimited mile warranty that just needs tins. They also said I could provide my one valvetrain and they would install it and take some off the price. My dad has bought a few engines from them over the years and has never had a problem. Let me know if you want the number and I will try to get it tonight.

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Here is the name of the place in Austin:
    Quality Engine Exchange, 512-339-8855 just checked their price today and a 454 runs $940 for longblock I'm sure a SBC would be cheaper.

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

maybe i should go ahead and not be cheap about it, to save money in the long run. just curious, 89gmc, but did you recently move to co, from texas? it's nice that people can actually handle driving in ice up there. toss a cup of water on i635 in dallas, and everyone runs into each other.

thanx for that info, 77crewcab. i didn't have any plans to head to austin, but for a good enough deal, i might have to make time. still a lot of places in dfw to check out, though.