Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about steering brace **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Pugsley, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

OK - I cabbaged through one of the local hardware stores and found some little steel grommet things that managed to return the holes to the size that they're supposed to be - not perfect, but they'll hold until I can do it right.

I'm going to have to pick up a box brace in the near future, no doubt about it, but I've run into another dilemma - my box mounting holes in the frame are wallered out. Will I need to add the weld in repair kit, or just tack washers to the frame to get everything nice and tight again? TIA for any help

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com&gt;pugsley.alloffroad.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Pugsley on 08/17/01 05:47 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: ? about steering brace

As with anything that is not fixed "properly". It's a game of Roulette, it may work forever, or it may only work for a day. To be absolutely sure it will not happen again, I would weld the frame repair brace on to the outside of the frame and while the welder is available, weld around the "wallered out" holes in the frame from the inside. Then break out the drill with the correct size bit, and drill from the outside to the inside using the weld in brace to guide you straight. Grind any burrs or high spots left on the inside of the frame, prime and paint, remount the steering box using ORD's steering brace, and don't worry about the frame for a long time, except for checking the tightness of the bolts during oil changes (at least the first couple and after hard use.

You can fix it other ways, and it may last (not saying it won't), but what I mentioned above seems to be a proven way of making the frame much stronger.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got cracking out from the holes. I am in process of grinding the cracks, putting a stopper hole, and welding them up. I have the weld repair lit (side and bottom) from Toyboxoff road. I am also putting on the steering brace. I'll be welding tommorrow hopefully.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

As I unfortunately speak from recent experience [​IMG] go with the correct frame repair kit..........the plates only cost $65 and if you can coerce one of your Zonie buddies into helping with the welding it is a very cheap fix. I put the brace on 8 months ago only to find a crack three weeks ago..........so I suggest doing the frame reinforcement AND the brace.

Former Zonie Frankie '78-'85 - "but its a dry heat.........!"

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Got it! Once I can get some money saved up' Ill do both. For the meantime, I've just tightened the holy hell out of it - Thanks guys!

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>