Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About The Flexability test?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, Apr 17, 2003.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

Heya all,

hey i just wanna ask about the flex. test, (im a newbie), i just wanna know what is it for and how can i do it?? why should i do it??? and the steps of doin it??? thanx alot guys, THANX /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's called RTI, for Ramp Travel Index. A search on Google will get you a LOT of info on it. It's basically just a tool to see how flexible your suspension is. Some people get real hung up on it and try a bit too hard to get a high score on it, even though somethings that will get you a good RTI score do nothing to help you on the trail, and can actually hurt the performance or safety of your truck. </font>

3. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

thanx alot man..

4. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

While we're here though I'd like to put forth an idea I can't seem to get anyone interested in. Maybe because it would reduce the RTI for those with fullw idth axles in narrow rigs.
    One of the 'tricks' some people use to increase their RTI is to put full width axles in something smaller, like CJ or a Yota. The RTI formula address' different wheelbases, but it doesn't address an increase in track width. Obviously increasing the track width of a K series would be a bit of work so this really doesn't directly apply.
    My thot is to substitute the distance from the left rear to the right front tire, or the right rear to the left front tire for the wheelbase number in the RTI formula. Now if you're comparing RTI from a K5 and a full width'd yota, they are both on the same playing field.

5. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

By substituting that your taking out the wheelbase. You comparing how high you can lift a tire to how wide your axles are. And then how would you interperate that number is beyond me. I think you have a good idea but in order to make it work would require a seriouse nack for math. Maybe on your wheelbase measurement go diagonal across the truck. Do the wheel on the ramp and the opposite side rear wheel. That would effectively lengthen the wheelbase and by how much would depend on your width... But then for fullsize it would negatively effecy because we're full width stock (im thinking out loud again).

It would be really hard to try to figure out and make it work.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I suggested the same thing awhile back, but you have to add the track width in and keep the wheelbase too since wheelbase is a factor. Just having track width would be biased towards long wheelbas vehicles. I just don't know how to work the math on it. </font>