Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about the guts of a 203 range box>>>

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Burt4x4, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I just got my 203 range box and adapter to start my Doubler project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I bought just the range box part already diconnected so I have no idea what the rest looks like.
    My question is are there any large needle bearings in the range box? I found several loose needle bearings about 1/2" maby 3/4" long laying inside the case stuck to the inside wall via gearoil. Just wondering if thease were simply leftovers from the chain side of the 203 or what???? I plan on a full rebuild anyway and I can rotate the whole assy with out any binding whatsoever.
    Thanks

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Going from recent memory there are smaller ones inside the idler shaft (a.k.a. counter gear). There are 72 total (3 rows of 24), and then 15 larger ones that ride between the input gear and "intermediate input shaft", all of which resides in the range box portion of the case.

EDIT: I just looked today, all roller bearings inside the range box are ALL the same size. The smaller ones reside on the "intermediate input shaft" which are in the chain-box portion once installed.

Sorry I was going from memory and made a mistake (what else is new) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks but I have no idea what you just said /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I supose when I tear it all apart I will see what you are talking about. The neadle bearings I found are large in diamiter not as large as a pincel but larger than the lead inside a pincel. All the gears rotate just fine and they don't feel ruff at all. Is it possiable the bearings I found are extras from the other section of the 203? I assume if they are the ones your talking about I wouln't beable to roate the assymbly??
    thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The idler gear roller bearings are contained within the gear assy. , so you should not be able to see them unless you have totally disassembled the range box.
    The larger needle rollers that were talked about are with in the input and output gear. If the range box is all together - including the gears and the two radial ball bearings and the aluminium rear support than the rollers should not fall out .
    It is possible to have some rollers from the shaft going into the chain portion of the case to get mixed up when being disassembled.
    Take it all apart , it will be obvious where all the rollers go .
    HTH , Tom

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool, thanks. I think they are extras from the other side of the 203. The output shaft aluminum part does pop out and slide back in and again evrything turns so I think the rollers are all still there but I guess tearing into it will tell me for sure. I have no idea what the parts are called truout the range box. I can identify the input from the 465 trany and the output that use to go into the chain part of the 203 and that is it. I guess I better search for a expolded view of the gears so I can get a better understanding of what all the parts are called...
    Thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

burt, I'll take a pic of the np203 for you tonight and post it for you as I have the chevy manual.
    With are first gens we need the np203, what parts do we need to do the doubler set-up?

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That would be sweet!!
    post up or email it to me at burt4x4@norcalbigdawgs.net

For the Doubler you would need a 203 with the adapter to bolt to the tranny of your choice, SM465 in my case, then a 205 that will bolt to a TH400 tranny, or any 205 and use ORD's conversion kit.
    I am going to be taking my time doing this. Not only cuz it cost over 1000 smakers to do this mod but I also want to rebuild everything so once I get it up under my rig I don't want to ever take it out again, thats the plan anyway..hehehe
    later

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

so if I have the NP205 on my TH350, I would have to find a 203 to put in the middle of my TH350 and NP205.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My previous post was edited.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup just get a 203 w/adapter that bolts to a th350 and your on your way!!

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Burt and all others, I highly recommend having one or more service manuals at your disposal for working on your trucks. I like the factory manuals from helminc.com and we also have haynes, clymer, chiltons and some no-names around. The helm book gets the most use. I'd recommend picking a year that will have all the variations of parts you will need for your truck. For example, if you want 203 and 205 instructions along with D60 info, get a book for the late 70's, no matter what your rig is. I do find having the wiring diagrams, etc for the correct year to be a help sometimes too.
    For you guys that work together a lot, maybe you have a common library? Or maybe one guys buys and you all borrow his? And hopefully keep him supplied with whatever beverage he prefers.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the link!!
    I'll check it out!!
    I have been working on my truck for so long without any referace manual I tend to forget they are out there hehehe
    Now that I am diving into the gearboxes, your right, it's time to get more facts!! I think I just got use to never finding what I need out of a manual with my old ass K5 just eneded up faking it and learning as I go type of deal!! hehehehe
    Tward summer I will be placing an order for my Doubler kit GU4004 clocked so the 205 & 203 are level, so make sure you save one for me!! hehehehee /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Do you have a lay away plan?
    I have a layaway plan, it's a Coffee can with the word DOUBLER writen on it and all my spare cash goes in it!! heheheeee
    Later /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Burt 4x4 said "I have a layaway plan, it's a Coffee can with the word DOUBLER writen on it and all my spare cash goes in it!! heheheeee"

Burt is that can next to the one that says Dana 60 on it? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Nope, I crushed that can!
    I am gonna stick with my D44 chrome molly shafts and CTM ChromeMolly Ujoints!! Now all I will need to carry are spare Hubs!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I never plan on any thing bigger than a 35" tire so I think the D44 will be just fine for me!

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Good I won't get in a hassle with you when I find a D60. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

burt, sorry but just got those pics uploaded....you can see them on my webshot sight or in the member gallery. If you need more let me know...

[​IMG]

17. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Look at the input gear and the mating gear on the idler gear assembly in that drawing . It is of a straight cut design not helical cut . I have never seen a 203 w/ straight cut gears like that - has anyone else ????
    I would imagine that it would whine like crazy w/ those straight gears at speeds above a crawl .
    How old is that picture ?
    Tom

18. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

That must be a conceptual drawing, I've taken apart boxes from '72-up (yup, actually from '72, probably for a '73 model year truck) and never seen a straight cut input gear.

19. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I'll bet your right about the drawing . If one was ever made it should have been an early 73 .
    I guess they engineered strong enough gears anyway - I have never seen a set in a 203 fail due to torque - just bad bearings or lack of fluid.

20. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

its from a 73 chevy overhaul manual, it is a chevy book... so what year did the NP203 change?