Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about the hubs on my poser K-5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stickseler, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Since my hubs only get locked in the snow and at job sites once a month, Will it hurt them when I go from 4 hi in the neighborhood to 2wd on the highway doing 65-70 for 10 miles and then back to 4hi off the highway to work when its snowing out?

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

It shouldn't do any damage. I do the same thing when it snows. The hubs are just keeping the driveshaft engaged to the diff and axleshafts. Don't see why it would be a bad thing.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

on my dads 82 with auto hubs i always slip trans into neutral when going into or from 4hi to or from 2hi, his hubs are messing up and sometimes the case slips out and grinds when slowing truck to a stop in gear, so maybe its just able to do that cuz of beginning to have issues

good luck

4. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

No dammage will happen to the truck. I run with the hubs locked all winter, It just gives the axle a good workout.

5. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

its not a damaging thing at all, however you will get a lot parasitic drag from the front axle and the front drive shaft as you push them down the road. Gas milage is affected a little and maybe its just me but I can feel a difference in the acceleration too. Still though running them locked wont negatively effect anything mechanical.

6. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

I agree there is nothing wrong with that. It's also recomended that if you do not use your 4wheel drive alot that you should engage your hubs and drive for about 100 miles every 1 or 2 months i think.