Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About this whole "Death Wobble" thing...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, May 29, 2002.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

About this whole \"Death Wobble\" thing...

Am I missing something? I have no "death wobble" or anything remotely feeling like it. I have an 84 Jimmy lifted 6" with blocks in the rear. The rear springs and bushings even look original. I have 35" BFG MT's on chromie steelies. The shocks are Rancho 5000's as much as I can make out(I scraped off the crud and found that name and model on them. The steering stabilizer is questionable. White body, no boot. Haven't seen any markings on it but I'll check again. Can't tell if it's original. No steering box bracing(yet). Even my ps pump is original. Still going after all these years(but it does scream at times). For the last few months, this truck has been my daily driver. I regularly drive at sustained speeds in excess of 60mph. And my motor mounts are shot. One comment in the "Last DW update...I hope) post was on dw with 31's, even worse on 35's. I have not had the first lick of trouble with vibration in this truck since I bought it last year in the afrementioned cofiguration. I DID have some play in the steering when I bought it. One tie rod end and one ball joint were replaced. No more play. But I have nothing like this death wobble you guys mention. Has the "smooth driving" fairy paid me a visit or something? Am I missing something? Why is it several of you are having such severe problems, yet I am not? My truck is in less than desirable shape which makes the situation even more curious. My local garage balances my 35's just fine and dandy with no complaints. Seeing as how I appear to have the "tight" drivetrain, I wish I could help. I haven't touched a thing and the truck drives fine. Is there something I can do to help you guys out? Maybe something to look for on the front end(stock 10 bolt, open with questionable gears)? Just let me know.

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: About this whole \"Death Wobble\" thing...

Before I got Mudnuri on the road, I was reading the dealth wobble posts, very scared of what I was getting into...this is the first lifted vehicle I have driven..with 4" suspension, and 3" body, 33" BFG's - I was SCARED...I will say that I had a shutter, on 1 bridge in town, if I was going over 40 MPH, but we double checked all of my body mounts, shock mounts etc... and tightened up a few, and thats gone now.

I too have no idea what the death wobble is and I don't want to know first hand....My truck certainly doesn't drive like a Cadi, but it drives well enough that I'm not scared to only have 1 hand on the steering wheel..today I actually went 45 minutes up a "main road"..doing what I think was about 60- my speedo is wicked messed up...but I was keeping up with traffic, and the speed limit is 55...I didn't have any steering wheel vibration, no pull when I let go (just had to check)..all in all I think I lucked out...She seems to run pretty darn straight and calm down the road...I'm sorry you guys end up with a scary ride...I too wish I knew what was different about my ride compared to yours...good luck fixin it everyone!..

from one of the lucky ones
    Brandy

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

they are havin their probs because they are running D60's (from what i gather) and something about the weight of them, in the front of a blazer, versus the front of a K30 they dont have enough weight on em if i remember right, and so they DW. IT doesnt happen on other front axles. (then again i aint no big time mechanic) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you REALLY want to punish yourself.....do a search in "The Garage" or "73-91 Forum" for the words "Death Wobble"...!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I guarantee it will give you more than you will EVER want to hear about this issue!

To be fair, there is some VERY astute engineering perspective on what it is, and what causes it. I would say for now just be thankful that you don't have it, and stop "rubbing it in" on the guys who DO! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i wouldnt mind fixing it because that would mean i HAVE a dana 60. but hey my 10 bolt is doing real good with the 40s /forums/images/icons/smile.gif people wonder why i want to keep building it before i take it out agian.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I think you need to read all the posts before making that statement. It is apparently more common in D60's, but is not strictly a D60 problem. It apparently can happen in new, old, stock, non-stock and almost any combination of tires, wheels, lifts, etc. There are numerous people w/D60's that don't have DW, me included.

7. topless1tonk5

topless1tonk5 Registered Member

thats because it does not happen with girly 1/2 tons and 35's!

8. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i just got a 60 a year ago and got DW after installing a rockrod, got it align and it was gone.1/2 and 3/4ton DW i believe most of it stems from bad balls joints.i think most of the DW is from a little play here and there.EVERYTHING must be tight and aligned properly ,no play anywhere when you run large tires.it only takes "a little slop" and a bump to get the tires rocking and rollin.so everybody please get under there rigs find the slop and fix the problem.there is no mythical beast (DW)thats causing these problems there has to be play somewhere it's just the matter of finding it.42's dana 60 one steering stabalizer,no play, no problems.just my 2 cents!!!

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

"thats because it does not happen with girly 1/2 tons and 35's! "

and EXACTLY WTF does that mean?????

Brandy

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I don't think that it has much to do with the axel type, 44, 60, whatever. I think it was " efilnikufecin" , that said it above, it starts with something just not being tight and snug, my experience has been that it is not any 1 thing to solve it. My last rig, we replaced the ball joints and did a crossover, and walla, it was gone. Who knows. But , for those that don;t have it , count yourself lucky. , ANYWAYS, just my .02

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

It happens to my 3/4 ton 10 bolt front when I have my swaybar disconnected. When the swaybar is connected the DW does not happen.

12. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Oh, thanks a lot. I try to understand this whole dw deal to try and help and you call my truck "girlie". Talk about demeaning. It's a diesel. Doesn't that count for something?

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Just to add my thoughts. It has nothign to do with the axle type, or vehicle. It happens when a vehicle with worn, but not always, parts is lifted, sometimes not even lifted. The lift just exagerates the problems. The worn problems cause the front to shimmy. Sometimes worse than others. When it happens there are a few things to check. Some of them being...
    -rod ends
    -ball joints
    -loose/worn steering components
    -tires
    -even unbalanced wheels
    -bad alignment

Just some causes. There are more. And some of the above cause a little wobble, and others can be MAJOR wobble. Even to the point of dangerous.

The first thing to do, is check for the worn out parts, and replace them. And make sure the front is aligned. If it is minor and all parts are good. A good quality steering stabalizer or two can help. But, in reality this is just masking the problem. But, there is not always somethign that can be doen to fix it. Especailly when you get larger tires... 37+.

With my Jeep I used to have... after I put the full size axles and 39.5s on it, I had to take it out for a ride, right away. Stupid me. Well, needless to say, it was SCARY, big time.
    I knew parts were good, I just installed them. So, I checked the alignment. Some how my measurements were off and the tires were towed out quite a bit. And man, did that thing wobble like it was going to fall apart at anything over 15 mph. So, I fixed that, gave it just a little tow in. Then it was fine, except when I would be going 45mph+ and hit a big bump, then it would give some shimmy again. So, thats when the daul steering stabalizer went on. Problem fixed. Very common with larger tired vehicles. No wobble at all up to about 65, didnt want to test faster than that.

Wow, that was long winded.

Ken H.

14. topless1tonk5

i think you hit that nail on the head, if you have d.w. with 1/2ton stuff, there is a VERY apparent problem. it just with the weight of 1ton stuff ANY little thing can set it off that is MUCH harder to locate. everything must be 100% dialed to avoid it, shackles,bushings,draglink, rod ends, stableizers,steering box, frame, toe in, wheel bearings, joints, tires, etc.... oh my god, i think im going to trade it for a geo!

15. topless1tonk5

ya i have to give that one to you, a deisel gives it some big hairy balls /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. topless1tonk5

sorry, was'nt tryin to be a d#%k, but im very sensitive about my d.w. problem. i think the first step is admitting you have a problem, my d.w. theropy group starts next week!

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

The point is, there is no exact explanation for Death Wobble. You say it doesnt happen on 1/2 tons with 35's? Explain this. I had 1/2 ton drivetrain and 37" Boggers with no deathwobble whatsoever. I installed Crossover Steering with all new parts and experienced severe death wobble when I "loaned" my stabilizer to a bud with the same problem. His truck experienced the same exact problem after installing crossover steering. We never had the problem before crossover. All ball joints are new, everything is perfectly aligned - It just will not keep from wobbling without a stabilizer!

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wish I had a D60 front so I'd have something to complain about. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

19. topless1tonk5

exactly what i said "if it happens on 1/2 ton axles it has an apparent cause" like NO STEERING STABLEIZER, read my post!

20. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Neil, discussing DW issues with anyone that has never truely felt DW is pointless. Cocky, know-it-alls that have never had to deal with it have ALL the answers. I'm sure the 2 alignment shops I've had my Blazer to "overlooked" the severe, apparent slop caused by all the NEW, worn-out parts I have installed. We both know stabilizers and sway bars are not needed with front-to-back steering. It sure seems as though there is an onslaught of people going to crossover and then soon afterwords installing hyd assist. Wonder why?