Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About time for a new engine in the 84... How bout a 366

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by speed_deed, Mar 23, 2002.

1. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Well I think it will be time for a new engine in the 84 which will then donate its engine to the engine stand. I am looking for something bigger naturally. If I can dump the mg's I will have enough for the SDPC 502/502 (502hp 502 ci) but i dont think I will sell them. My old man told me about a old stock truck the coop he ran used to have that had a 366 in it. he said it was a "torgueing son of a bitch" and I want one. I got to go to Wal mart so I'll be back in a bit to edit this with the rest of the post.

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Dont mess w/ the 366. Its not worth the weight of a BBC. If your gonna tote the weight at least have some cubes.

On a personal note...how bout losing the pic. It dont bother me but I do have kids. I like to read CK5 w/out having to worry about what my kids see over my shoulder.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The old 366 was not that good of an engine. They did not like high rpm and had a tendency to break internal parts. They were not made for very long.
    If you want a 366 just go out and buy a brand new 300 hp 6 L vortec engine. They run great.

PLEASE LOOSE THAT PITCURE !

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

On a personal note...how bout losing the pic. It dont bother me but I do have kids. I like to read CK5 w/out having to worry about what my kids see over my shoulder.

<hr></blockquote>

When my kids are in the room I turn off my side pics anymore. Even though some are neat to look at there are a few that kids should not see.

John

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Maby CK5 should just be XXX rated. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    No one under 18 allowed.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

tell em its a girl exercising
    that doesnt look bad to me, no nips or full frontal
    i have never understood the aversion to nudity

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think the 366 is a tall deck chev BB
    4 piston rings, extra one is another oil ring?
    really small port cylinder heads
    they are usually super low rpm, like 3000 redline so you can imagine how small the cam and heads are
    probably has really good crank and rods and valvetrain as truck motors usually get the best stuff to survive constant hour after hour full throttle that is typically how they are run for years on end

8. Pure Insanity

I have no problem w/ it, but I dont ness. want my 9 yr old son seeing it at this point. Besides, this is a K5 site not a T-N-A site. There is another floating around here where the girl strips down to panties and bra....at least it looks like a 2 peice bathing suit. Call me strange but I really dont want my kids seeing a topless woman doing hip thrusts.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

why?
    I would be hoping he would be hetrosexual and not hung up about a little nudity. that is real innocent Marilyn Monroe type IMO
    if it was beastiality or something gross/demeaning/hurtful then OK I may agree

10. Pure Insanity

I agree to a point. But hes 9 (10 in a few months), and my daughter is 8. I just choose to not let my kids see that stuff yet. If I can help it. Its just my choice, and I asked Eddie to remove it. No big deal. Why does it seem to bother you so much? Just curious.

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, avoid the 366. why put 800+ Lbs of engine for what a 400 Lbs engine (350) will put out? MJ hit it on the nose with the engine description. it was built as a lower displacement, but extremely heavy duty truck engine to last forever. unfortunately, they lack in the power area's pretty sharply. they do put out some torqe, but with a 3000 +/- redline, they can't really produce much power, for the amount of weight they add to your truck. my friend Joe was moving from phoenix to flagstaff, and the Uhaul he rented had a 366 in it, with a 2400 RPM rev limiter installed, and an engine overload cutout. the fastest he could go on the freeway was 65, ( not that this is a bad thing with a moving truck) and when we hit the hills heading up the mountain on I-17, we got to pull onto the right shoulder, 4 ways flashing, as we crawled the whole thing at 12 MPH. apparently the engine overload cutout kicked in when he started up the hill, and killed him down to speeds rivaled by semi's hauling oversized loads, and motorhomes hauling camper trailers. ( we were passed by several of each )

the only thing you've got going with it, is it'll probably never break, or wear out. ( if its even broken in) at the very least, get a 396, although a high HP 427 would be nice, a high torqe 454 would be nicer, and a 502/502 would be your best choice* unless you manage to trip on a 1960's vintage 702 `twin 6' V12 by GMC.... the only problem with that thing is it'll only spin up to 2400 RPM, but it puts out something like 650 Ft/Lbs of torque.... I want to get one, and retrofit it with Vortech heads ( if they'll fit... I doubt it, since the V6 it was based on had 351 CID of displacement) get a better cam, possibly turbo it, (can you say quad turbo?) and see if I can't make it spin up faster then 2400... 4000 would be enough for my purposes :-P

on a side note, censorshit = teh sucks.

*(if you put a BBC in, you will most likely need to get a stronger transmission, be limited to an NP205 for T-case, and probably need D 60 up front. the BBC's put out a lot more torque then the SBC's, to the extent that you're at risk of destroying your driveline/axles/frame if you're not extremely careful on the go-pedal. my 77 C20 currently has a bent frame, thanks to my excessive use of `the skinny pedal', although that burnout was the sh*t when I made it... too bad I blew a freshly rebuilt TH400 transmission doing it. This is the reason my 73 K20 still only has a 350, even tho I have a spare 454 crying to be used in something. not until I have a D 60, and a TH400/NP205 in that sucker)

-Rich

12. speed_deed

Alright if I take the d@mned thing off can this post go back to being about new engines?

13. speed_deed

well is the spare 454 up for sell?

14. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

depends on how much you're willing to pay for it? its got a fresh rebuild on it, ( previous owner rebuilt it approx june of 2000 year ago, then truck was totaled in march of 2001, I bought it for parts july 2001, drove it home, pulled the transmission, and its been sitting out at Johns place since) the oil was clean when I checked it, and its either going to go for a tall price, get turned into a project, or get burried with me when I die... :-P

if I sell it, price will be something obscene like 1200 bucks, because to get a refurbished one, with a core, it'll cost me 1400 bucks. without a core, or for a new one, 2400-3000 bucks.

price is negotiable, and this sucker is complete... carb to oil pan, exhaust manifold to exhaust manifold and I'll even throw in the accessory's that're stuck to it ( I think I already jacked the alternator, but its got a PS pump, and AC pump) its a 1973 engine, with an EGR setup on it, so it may not be smog legal wherever you're at. if you want the 73 C10 suburban that its sitting in, throw in 400 more bucks. (1600 bucks for whole thing) there's no transmission in it right now, although I could sell you the TH400 that's in the 77 C20 after I get its 400 rebuilt for 100 more. it runs fine, but I think it needs a rebuilt soon. ( before any one vultures on this, this is a package deal ) suburban is 95% rust free, ( 2 of the doors have rust bubles under the paint) and the front end was wrecked in an accident. rear is a 12 bolt, there is no front, its 2wd, dual AC, ( probably needs charge/replacement) good interior, etc. PM me if interested. (exhaust system is going bye bye this weekend... need it for the 77 C20)

-Rich

15. speed_deed

Dude are you insane? I can go onto ebay and get a nice blue/white k5 with a 6 inch lift 38 inch tires and a 350 for exactly $1400. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yes, but its not a 454 now is it,

(yes I am insane) /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

-Rich

17. Pure Insanity

No I am the insane one. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanx Eddie.

18. speed_deed

Doesnt need to be. A 454 is just a want, I would do fine with a 350.

19. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

I have to disagree on the verdict of the 366. I have one in my 3/4 ton and it is a beast. I don't have a tack, but I can tell you it easily wails past 3,000. It also pulls harder than my built 383 through the entire power range. I haven't driven it enough to have mileage stats yet, but I think it is a good compromise between big block power and decent gas mileage. And everyone already seems to agree that it was built tough to last through abuse- tall deck, 4 rings, THICK cylinder walls, etc. I'm not saying it is better than any other engine GM put out, but it does have a place. My 3/4 ton is a tow truck and the 366 is therefore a perfect match. It just depends, like any engine build, what you want to use it for. The downside of the 366 is parts, it is a tall deck block, so some other big block parts won't interchange. Unless you already have one lined up, it also might be hard to find one. I don't really know, I bought my truck with the 366 already in it.
    If you don't know a lot about big and small block engines and parts, I would recomment either a 350 or 454. These are the most common engines and parts won't be a problem.

I will stand by my 366 though, it rocks. The heads are interchangeable too, but I say it again, my 366 is a beast, there is no way that thing has a hard time breathing and it is all stock, except for a carter carb.