Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about tire/ suspension upgrade

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ben794X4, Feb 11, 2002.

1. ben794X4

ben794X4 Registered Member

My old 31,s are worn out and I now can finally justify replacing them. However, I have a limited budget and these are my options; I can either run 33,s and install a locker or a four inch lift kit and 35,s with open diffs then do the locker later. I need as much clearance as I can get (duh) without getting to tippy and I am not afraid to chop my wells which I need to do any how to get rid of some rust. I plan on doing it all eventually but I dont know if a 2 1/2 lift or a 4 inch would be better there are alot of side hill trails with BFR's (big friggin rocks) where I wheel in the Murphy desert. These (BFR's) can pitch you pretty good when you are already side hillin' making for a high pucker factor. All responses are appriciated as are product recomendations.

Stock 79 4X4
    3 spd granny
    stock 350
    12 bolt open rear
    10 bolt open front

Subvert the accepted paradigm.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i would say go with the 4" and 35s. Thats whats on my truck now and after a day with the sawsall it flexs pretty good. also you go up to 6"s with the ORD addaleaves and body lift to fit a good size tire without losing to much balance.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5>http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5</a>

3. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I agree with sapper, go with the 4" lift &amp; the 35's, you won't regret it. You can allways install a locker later, or weld your rear end now &amp; forget about the locker.

Just my opinion

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/14B/10B/4.10/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots

4. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I agree with the 4" 35" combo. See the Driveshaft thread for more info.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

4" lift and 35s, no question. If you have no probs cutting fenders, you could run all the way up to 39.5s with 4" of lift, so you'd be set in that regard. Lockers are great, but u can always get one later.

as far as tippy-ness goes, add the spacers on your rear wheels to even out your track width...run wide tires..and ditch your hard top, tail gate, and doors...maybe get a fiberglass hood too. ;) Reducing top-heaviness is always a good thing,

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I always thought itd be tippy with my 6" and 35's but after driving it seems normal, i want to go even bigger tire wise. The k5's are pretty wide,just ditch the hard top for a soft one.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 6"susp, 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.