Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About to give up. F-in bearings! Help

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Yohinan, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Ok heres the story, and I am pulling my hair out with this. Maybe someone can offer some advice/help. Vehicle is 95 Sub K1500. Has about 180k miles as of today. So one day I notice the pass side rear wheel covered in gear oil. Ok seal is gone. Change seal and bearing and figure I should do the drivers side also while I am at it. About 6 months go by and they both blow out again within a few days of each other. I tell myself I know that is just my luck. So I notice the original parts that I bought were Made in China. I am like WTF I wish I would have noticed that before I bought them. Trip back to NAPA and I get what is recommended now due to the mileage, axle repair bearings. Basically they are a little oversized and include the seal with the bearing. So get them put in and withing a few days they are both leaking. I am like holy crap what is going on. Now what do I do? Is it possible both of my axles are bad? How can I tell if they are bad? Is there some kind of measurements I can take to see if they are in fact bad? And maybe my axles are what is causing the bearings to go bad? I have not actually pulled out these bearings but when I did pull out the China made ones they were destroyed! The bearings were not even in the bearing housing anymore. Would just getting the good old USA made ones fix all my woes? Thanks for all the help. If its any help I do have 33X12.5" mud terrains on the truck and have for about the last 10,000 miles.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check the axle vent tube. If it's kinked or plugged then pressure will build up in the housing when it heats up. Guess where it finds the easiest way out? ;)

3. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Well, pulled the vent tube and can blow through it easily. Also stuck a pick through the tube coming out the diff that the vent tube attaches to and there were no obstructions there. So any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end. Thanks again for all the help.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, how does the axle shaft look right where the bearings ride on it? If it's still smooth, then you don't need those funky offset bearings. If the bearing and seal surfaces look OK, then you need to check VERY closely for bent axles or a bent housing. :(

5. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Well as far as looks go, the axle tubes look fine as do the axles themselves. Also the axle tubes where the bearings are look good. That is why I was wondering if there were any measurements that I could take to tell me for sure if they were bad. This is all of course with the naked eye so I am sure these items could have variations that put them out of limits but maybe this is so minute that I cant see these imperfections. This is so much fun.