Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About to give up. F-in bearings! Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yohinan, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

May 21, 2003
    This is posted in the IFS forum but I thought I would cross post it here as I think it will get a faster response here. Plus I took today off to fix this and am not sure exactly what direction to head now.

Ok heres the story, and I am pulling my hair out with this. Maybe someone can offer some advice/help. Vehicle is 95 Sub K1500. Has about 180k miles as of today. So one day I notice the pass side rear wheel covered in gear oil. Ok seal is gone. Change seal and bearing and figure I should do the drivers side also while I am at it. About 6 months go by and they both blow out again ( bearings this time ) within a few days of each other. I tell myself I know that is just my luck. So I notice the original parts that I bought were Made in China. I am like WTF I wish I would have noticed that before I bought them. Trip back to NAPA and I get what is recommended now due to the mileage, axle repair bearings. Basically they are a little oversized and include the seal with the bearing. So get them put in and withing a few days they are both leaking. I am like holy crap what is going on. Now what do I do? Is it possible both of my axles are gone? How can I tell if they are bad? Is there some kind of measurements I can take to see if they are in fact bad? And maybe my axles are what is causing the bearings to go south? I have not actually pulled out these bearings but when I did pull out the China made ones they were destroyed! The bearings were not even in the bearing housing anymore. Would just getting the good old USA made ones fix all my woes? Thanks for all the help. If its any help I do have 33X12.5" mud terrains on the truck and have for about the last 10,000 miles.

Response #1

Check the axle vent tube. If it's kinked or plugged then pressure will build up in the housing when it heats up. Guess where it finds the easiest way out? ;)

My Response to # 1

Well, pulled the vent tube and can blow through it easily. Also stuck a pick through the tube coming out the diff that the vent tube attaches to and there were no obstructions there. So any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end. Thanks again for all the help.