Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About to modify 81 K5 for sand dragging.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big454blockchevy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. big454blockchevy

big454blockchevy Registered Member Premium Member

Just wanted some input as far as upgrading the 10 bolt for sand drag competition. This rig will not see much rock crawling , it will mostly perform in wet , loose sand. I know for a fact that the 10 bolt is not for spending any money on it BUT I thought I could get away with upgrading at this point since I am going to be mostly racing in the sand. Don't know , I have done most of my racing on asphalt and am trying to learn me ups and downs of rigs. On asphalt my camaro has gone mid 11's with a 10 bolt and it' s gotten some good traction and has take the abuse up to this point.( I'm upgrading it to a 9" ford but that another story). Also , how would you race ? With 4x4 engaged? or just have it on regular drive? I'm about to start doing some research here and at the local scene but thought I'd ask here to start off with. My engine will be a 350 vortec heads, racing cam.450ishmaxlift 6800max rpms , about a 3k-3500stall , th350 , 33 " bf goodrich mud tires. Everytning else on the drivetrain should be stock at this point.

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I dont know much about sand but you might want to go with a less aggresive tread style. mud terrain tires like to dig in the sand rather than float on the top which is what you want.

also on the axles, sand is pretty easy on parts unless your jumping. plus you'll only have 33s. I think you should be fine, maybe add some superior axleshafts and a detroit in the rear. unless you plan on jumping it, then you'll be in danger of bending your axle tubes.

3. big454blockchevy

Ok, good point on the mud tires. thanks

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If its run by the ASDA its likely a 300 foot track. I run alot of sand drags.

Run in low range 4x4. 3.73 gears with a 208/241 t-case or 4.10's with a 205 or 203. Tires are ok being MT's. It really doesnt make much difference on an actual sand drag track.

MT's will get out of the hole better, whereas AT's will have a little bit better topend.

Lemme know if I can help with any other questions.

I have a few pics in my link below.

5. big dan

you run in low range? doesnt that make your rpms kinda high?

but then again it is only 300 feet

sorry I really dont know what Im talking about with sand. Ive just always heard a/ts were better for sand.:dunno:

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Yes, low range. With the combos above, he should hit around 50-55mph. Thats about 5800-6200 rpm at the finish line.

I've been sand dragging for about 6-7 years now..

John

7. big dan

hmm, I never would have thought that. oh well thanks for the knowledge.:waytogo:

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

No problem! :thumb:

Its the one thing a know a little about, I'm almost lost when in comes to crawling... :D

John

9. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

Wow it has been that long, John:o ,Scary.

But as to the question at hand everything that 502jimmy has said is what you need to do. Your 10 bolt will be more than adequate for the sand. Remember sand gives, asphalt doesent.

10. big454blockchevy

Thanks guys. Seems to me that John will get alot of questions from me, if he don't mind :). I have always had a liking for 4x4s , it's just I had never really seen this type of racing up close. Well , I love it! It's alot like drag racing and I felt at home spectating the 4x4's go at it.

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

I'm here if you need help... :)