Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About to order wheels and have a backspace question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, Feb 20, 2005.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

got a D60 in front and a 14 bolt in the rear and am wondering what backspacing I need for the wheels. I am thinking of running 39.5X18X15 Boggers, but my buddy is trying to talk me into the new Pitbull Rockers, but they only have a 39.5x14.50x15 and im not sure that is gonna be wide enough(plus not sure how the good the Pitbulls are :) ).

Anyway, I am ordering 15x10 wheels, but i'm not sure what backspacing I should order. Any help would be great.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i think 3.5 BS would be good. my trucks got 4" BS w/ 33's, and its pretty close to the tierod. this is on 1/2 ton stuff tho, not sure if it'd be different w/ d60

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run 3.75" of BS. 15x10's with 15x39.5/15 TSL's

Have you ground the calipers yet?

Rene

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I run 4.25, only way to go in my opinion, is to keep the tires tucked in.

5. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

not yet...was gonna wait and get the rims to see exactly how much I need to grind:grind:

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When you do grind them check that all four (or five) rims clear the caliper grinding on both sides. I found out the hard way that one of my rims has 1/2" more backspace than the rest, and it cost me a brand new 39.5 TSL...

I did get my set used, but they were a set so someone goofed slightly when those rims were bought new.

Rene

7. FWP

FWP CRS

X2 on that one. The el cheapo steel wheels are close, but not perfect, so one wheel might not rub, and the next one might.

I remember that Rene, It's a good thing that tire came apart when it did, otherwise you might not be here today.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

time for the weekly grinding calipers reminder post I always make on these threads....

If you're going to grind your calipers to fit, keep in mind that if you are using old pads the caliper won't stick out as much as it will with brand new ones. So, if you ground juuust enough that your wheels will barely clear and you later did a brake job, they might not clear anymore and you could end up with a bead-roasted TSL like our friend from up north. Thats not why his got toasted, but the potential for the same type of "doh!" event is there. Its no big deal, just something to be aware of.

j