Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About to purchase a 4" lift (tommorrow)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Jul 19, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

About to purchase a 4\" lift (tommorrow)

Looking at a all spring tough coutry 4" EZ Ride or skyjacker 4" softride ....anyone seen any hot deals lately? I would like to order tommorrow just thought I'd check here for any great deals anyone has seen lately. Hate to pay way too much for a lift.

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Re: About to purchase a 4\" lift (tommorrow)

I know that if I had it to do again, I'd go with the ORD 4" shackle flip and the 1" zero rate add a leaf. Maybe cosider that option......Will probaly ride and flex better than the rear springs. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. BowtieBlazer

I've considered that option but the shackle flip is out of the question due to the fact that I tow often and heavy at times. The towing stories i've heard involving a shackle flip scares me away from it.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

www.offroaddesign.com. as a CK5 Member you get a discount /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    As for the towing stories on the flip. I have sorted my issues out. When you do a flip it makes a MAJOR difference in the spring rate because of the angle of tha shackle. Great for the trail but not for towing. I ended up adding 2 leafes from an old pack to raise the spring rate. My articulation suffered some but it solved the towing issues and it made it handle better on the street.
    Regardless of what you do, towing with a lifted truck can be problematic. Idealy the trailer will sit level with the tounge inline with the frame of the tow vehicle. Well when you start getting into lifted trucks this get's difficult unless your trailer happend to sit high. With the trailer toung up, when you stop, it want's to push the back of the truck up if your trailer does not have brakes. The vehicle already has a tendency to want to do this and you can get into real toruble in a panic stop and have the trailer unload the rear of the truck and spin the truck. This is the same reason short wheel base trucks and not great for towing. WHen the front dives when you slam on the brakes the rear end tend to raise more from the weight transfer.
    To much drop on the tow bar has it's own issues. On may trailers the axle is over the springs. Most of the time you can flip the axle and Gain about 4 - 6 inches on the trailer ride hight. to get it leveled out. If this is on a camper you might need to brigns some blocks of wood to make up the difference for the levleing jacks.

5. BowtieBlazer

A camper is one of the trailers I pull. Its equiped with trailer brakes. I have been in search of a way to raise the trailer even 2-3inches It rides really low to the ground on its kickin 10 maybe 12" rims. I will have to see if I can flip the axle. This may be one of the solutions I have been searching for.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What issues do a tow bar with too much drop have (other than it's hard to find one that's heavy-duty but they do exist)?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If a tow bar doesn't sit flat and level then under braking it will drive the front end of the towed vehicle down while lifting the rear of the tow vehicle.

Rene

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It can put a lot of rotational torque on the hitch assembley and frame of the truck. With a trailer in the 4-5k rating you could easily cause the effective load on the tounge to exceed the rating of the hitch assembly.
    It's like a lever. The longer it is the more torque you can exert with less effort.