Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About to rebuild my carb...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tarheel, May 18, 2004.

1. tarheel

tarheel Registered Member

so i'm about to try to rebuild my q-jet 4mv on my '73 k5. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif you guys got any advise/tips for me. i've never done this, but i'm fairly handy and i can follow directions well. every other project i've undertaken thus far has seemed daunting at first, but, in the end it was just a case of being patient enough to ask some questions and do it right. hopefully this will be the same. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its pretty starightforward on older ones. I suggest being very careful removing the pin for the pump linkage ( which comes off to free top ), I have broken one of the ears off before that the lever sits between ( that carb survives on another truck with JB weld ). Most kits come with several gaskets, double check which ones match yours. Patience will help alot, trying to put the top back on. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Grab some JB Weld before you start the project. You'll want to seal the well plugs that are scattered about "underneath" the carb. These tend to leak, and sealing them up while the carb is apart is a good idea.

Once you get the carb seperated into it's 3 main pieces, you will see the large ones on the underside of the float bowl. On the ones I've done, there is a shiny plug with the carb casting peened over it.