Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About to send my injector pump in...some last minute questions.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Jun 14, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm about to send my pump in to be rebuilt by Accurate diesel ( www.accuratediesel.com )

I recall someone saying they would rebuild my pump to pretty well any mechanical pump spec's if I asked them too. The DB2 4911 spec's were thrown around...

Here is my question: what would a pump built to the 4911 spec's do for an otherwise stock 6.2? Is there any point to it with stock injectors or should I pick up some 6.5 injectors at the same time? I need injectors too...so now is the time for input!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Ideally I'd like to see even a moderate power gain...but honestly I am more concerned with the truck running good and relatively smoke free.

Rene

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

hey bud-
    in order to take full advantage you need to go with the 6.5 injectors at the same time. It has to do with the fuel volume and pressure of the 4911 speced pump.

3. tRustyK5

Sounds cool...I'll get the 6.5 injectors too then. The 4911 spec'd pump was the 92 non turbo 6.5 right? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Rene

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

92-93 heavy duty models.
    Chat room?

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you could, would you ask them exactly what they change to bring it to this different spec. Thanks.

6. tRustyK5

I'll be calling them Monday to find out more info. You can check the link yourself, they do have some info there...

Rene

7. BlueBlazer

Cool, thanks. There site doesnt really explain what they do to change the pump specs. Im wondering if they change the cam ring to one with a different profile or just turn up the max fuel screw. Also, can you ask if they do anything with the advance piston spring to change the timing curve. Thanks.

8. tRustyK5

I'll have to have this post up when I call them...maybe I'll just email them so I sorta sound like i know what I'm talking about /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

9. tRustyK5

Tyler,

I just got an email back from Accurate diesel.

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,

Yes, we can rebuild your pump to a different set of specs. The primary difference in a 4911 pump is that it delivers a higher volume of maximum fuel for the needs of the 6.5 turbo. Although we would be happy to set your pump up any way you like it, the voulme of fuel delivered by a 4911 spec pump would probably be too much for the NA 6.2 and would result in a lot of black smoke and high exhaust temps.

Regarding what parts are changed to acheive the 6.5 specs, the maximum fuel delivery change is simply a leaf spring adjustement - turned all the way up, most 6.2 pumps deliver about what a 6.5 (DB2831) pump delivers normally. The 4911 also has a shorter advance piston which allows for more advance - some people like this, some don't.

I hope I answered your questions, let me know if you'd like to discuss further. If you would like to send your pump, please use the order sheet on our website if it's convienient for you.

Thanks,

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Any other input people? Is what I'm being told accurate? I'm not so keen on tons of black smoke.../forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Rene

10. BlueBlazer

I would just get it rebuilt to stock specs. I was wondering where these dieselpage guys got all this nonsense about delivering the fuel at a higher pressure and being more efficient and such. All a leaf spring adjustment does is allow more fuel to be thrown at the engine. If you got a j code engine Rene, then stock power should be plenty. And at a 175 bucks, youre getting a hell of a deal.

11. tRustyK5

I asked a few more questions and got this response...

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,

Yes, Stanadyne had many, many different calibrations over the years. They started out very, very conservative and ended up conservative.

We have developed one calibration that works great on all 6.2's - it gives a little more hp within resonable limits with little smoke. We have these pumps in the box ready to ship.

If you would like a little more hp that our standard pump, we can custom build you one, no extra charge, it will just take a couple more days.

It is tricky to get maximum horsepower without smoke, because so many other factors come into play - cetane of fuel used, elevation, engine condition, etc.

Thanks,

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave him a bit more info and they will build the pump for my application based on mods or lack of mods. About the only mod I will have soon is some free flowing 3" single exhaust...

I think that even a dead stock rebuilt pump would do just fine too, if they can squeeze a little extra power without turning it into a black smoke belching pig than that's cool too. I agree $175 is a good deal. I'm sending my injectors in at the same time, they rebuild those with new nozzles for $142./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

With 200,000 on the motor it needs both done IMO. At the worst it'll be a good running older 6.2. It still fired up easily enough so I believe compression is within tolerance...and it doesn't leak any oil.

Thanks for the input! The pump and stuff leaves on Friday. I'll update when it gets back and i have it back together.

Rene

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey Rene, do they rebuild all kinds of pumps? or just GM?
    I have the perkins and I wanted to get the fuel system rebuilt, I haven't tested my injectors yet but I feel they are opening a little on the low pressure side.
    But with the turbo I am already getting the black smoke, I guess my pump is good. What do you guys think?
    Let me know Rene if they can help me with the perkins. It's a T6-354 (354ci inline 6 turbo )

13. tRustyK5

I just emailed him and asked for you. You can email him yourself if you like...

tim@cleaninjectors.com

He is very prompt with replying to his emails.

Rene

14. tRustyK5

Directly from the source...

[ QUOTE ]
    We rebuild all Roosamaster/Stanadyne and CAV injection pumps. I am not sure what pump is used on the Perkins you mention - It will have the manufacturer name written on the nameplate. I would be happy to talk with the gentleman.

Thanks

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope that helps dude!

Rene

15. BlueBlazer

Its probably a Bosch A-pump if its an inline pump.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Thanks Rene,
    I will check tonight and let him, and you guys know.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif