Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About to turn the key on my CUCV......

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Dec 28, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

It has a new top end, GP, starter, Fuel & air filter, Every piece of hose is new, Rebuilt injection pump and everything in the cooling system is new. I left the # 2 & 4 lines loose to get the air out of the system and the pink wire of the pump. I have new batteries also. I am just wondering if there is anything else to be covered before I turn the key?? Thanks Mike

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Put the pink wire back onto the pump. You won't have any fuel coming out of the injector lines with it off. Go ahead and loosen up all 8 lines and crank it over. Once you have fuel dribbling out of at least 4 or 5 lines, crank them all shut and try to start it. Don't crank the motor for more than 30 seconds at a time, and then let it set for a couple of minutes to cool off.

You can remove the glow plugs to release compression if you'd like, to make it easier to turn over while priming the fuel system. It will take a few sessions of cranking to get fuel through the whole system. Once you have fuel dribbling out of the injector lines, reinstall the glow plugs.

Good luck!

Casey

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

What RV said. The pink wire controls the fuel solenoid. It's usually pulled to prime the fuel filter. If you replaced the fuel filter, go ahead pull the wire and bleed the filter. Once you've got that done reconnect the wire and bleed as per (RV Tech) above. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thanks guys Mike

5. klinger_2003

klinger_2003 Newbie

could someone please tell me what cucv stands for. thanks

Kevin

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle