Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

About Transfer Case Drop & Lift....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Dec 30, 2005.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

So I'm looking at 6" Tuff Country EZ-Ride lift kits in my JC whitney catalog out of boredom for my 1/2 ton Longbed....These systems come with front leaves, rear blocks, extended brake lines and transfer case drop brackets.
    Now being a 6", there would be a chance that i would need to lengthen some driveshafts....But, with the addition of t-case drop brackets, would the chance of having to modify driveshafts be greatly reduced? Thanks.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

As a general rule, 6" will need driveshaft mods. Not all for some reason, but most. I don't like the idea of dropping the tcase, because of the angle it puts on the front driveshaft.
    But, like most mods you do, it depends on what you are going to do with the truck.

3. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Well, it's going to be a mild trail and mud truck pretty much.
    I would love to get the 6", but i DO NOT want to perform any driveline mods....This is a real pain.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your longer wheelbase will help with the rear shafts angles , but may still need to be modified .

I would ditch the rear blocks though , and do a shackle flip and new springs , or at least shorter blocks and the shackle flip .

5. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I plan on the ORD shackle flip and 2" blocks down the road, but for now I'd like to get it lifted and get all these driveline problems sorted out.

6. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Could you clarify what you dislike about the front driveshaft angle?

7. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

Just Go For It, I Got More Than One Friend Running More Than 6" On Stock Shafts And One Has A 10" Suspension Lift

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Dropping the tcase, doesn't mean a flat drop. It angles everything. It will "tilt" the rear of the trans and tcse down. Sometimes that makes the angle at the front driveshaft(at the tcase) worse. I chose not to do it, others have no problems.

On another note. If you plan to do a shackle flip "down the road", do it now. The shackle flip changes the angle of the rear pinion. You stated that you wanted to get the driveline sorted out, so do it right the first time. I did the 4" shackle flip and adjusted the pinion angle about 5 times before I found an angle I liked. Easy to do using shims, but aggravating none the less. My situation seemed to be unusual though. I have never heard of someone having all the problems I had with my angles. I switched to a 14FF and a SYE and all is well now.