Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about tv and computer in a car

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jackyl, Feb 23, 2002.

1. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

I was wondering if I built a computer for my car what all i would need to run a lcd screen off of it. I was thinking that I could have an external dvd player connected to the computer and run dvds off of that. The computer would just be real simple. No floppy, or cd rom just the minimum. Also what processor would I need to keep up with the audio and video?
    How would I hook the screen up to run off the dvd player in the computer and is it possible to have 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound?
    Thanks

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure from your description why you'd need a computer at all.....???

If you run a portable DVD player, you can probably run the outputs from it to the LCD, and to drive the audio channels for your surround stuff.

To be honest, you'd save a lot of money by purchasing one of the "Car DVD" machines that already exist instead of trying to design and build your own.

Are you just trying to get a "bigger" screen than what's available with the dash-mounted DVD systems?

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Actually you can build a computer for far less than the cost of an indash dvd player. You want to hook the computer to a standard in-dash or fixed mount mobile lcd screen right? If so, then you will need a scan converter to convert the rgb output of the vid card to the tv. But, your clarity will be far from as good as a normal dvd player or computer screen do to the low resolution of the lcd screens. The best way of doing this is to run a computer lcd screen and mount it flush in dash for fixed somewhere. You can run high-res and it's cheaper most of the time. I've installed alot computers in cars and trucks with no probs., just ask if you have any more questions.

Jason

4. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

I wanted the computer so that I can listen to all of my mp3's.
    I have an mp3player already in my car but I wanted to get a screen but nobody makes an mp3/dvd player
    And DVD players are real expensive. I would like to have dvd quaility picture. You can get that with a computer lcd screen right???
    Were would you suggest I mount this. This is for my car not my blazer so it would be a lot harder to find space
    I could just build a computer to run my mp3's and buy a 7 inch lcd tv. How small of flat screen pc monitor can you buy?

5. willyswanter

Uh, do a search on like pricewatch.com or something to look for screen sizes. I'm not sure how small they go. I would mount it in the trunk. I use a rack mount enclosure to hold the computers when I'm not intigrating them into an enclosure or amp rack. That rack box is real strong and has filters and a bunch of other stuff to help it survive in a car. Make sure you put a large heatsink and fan on there. You can dvd quality picture on a computer, but not from a computer onto a tv screen. Also, get a Sound Blaster 5.1 sound card. Then youc an run 5.1 surround channels out of your computer for movies. And in all my mobile cinema installs I only use PIoneer components. The AVM-P9000R is 5.1 dolby digital unit with 50x6 power. For all surround channels. Has optical digital inputs too.

Jason

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

You should look into the Blaupunkt add on dvd player (DVD-ME1) then. I think it would fit the bill for you. It is just a little larger than a dashmounted head unit(Dimensions: 6-5/8" W x 2-5/8" H x 8-1/2" D), has audio/video out and an extended infared sensor for the remote so you can mount the unit in the back and still use the remote up front. It plays cd's, mp3's, DVD's, cdr/cdrw's. It also has a power supply so it can be brought into the house or whatever and used with 110v AC. It costs between $250-$300. Then all you need is a screen for DVD playback. Parts Express has screens for as low as $99.25 but you would have to make a mounting system for them since they are just a screen and supporting electronics with no case etc.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showprod.cfm?&amp;DID=7&amp;CATID=44&amp;ObjectGroup_ID=304>Link to a few LCD screens</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showprod.cfm?&amp;DID=7&amp;CATID=44&amp;ObjectGroup_ID=303>LCD screen modules with no cases (cheaper but takes more work to install)</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blaupunktusa.com/video/video_01_dvdme1.html>Link to Blaupunkt's DVD-ME1 info page</a>

Hope that helps a little.

7. jackyl

jackyl Registered Member

I dont think that the Blaupunkt dvd player has 5.1? I wanted to have the 5.1 or 6.1 surround sound.
    What about mounting a screen. were would I mount it so that it isnt in the way all of the time? If I put it above my current cd player it will block the heater/ac controls.
    That would be cool to have a motorized dvd player that folds up and goes back into the dash.

8. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Panasonic has a nice DVD player (CYVMD-9000) with a 7" screen that folds into the dash DIN unit, but it's pricey @ $1200. In regards to your original question, you just need an LCD. Any LCD will work. On the PC side, use a video card with composite output then run that to the LCD.

9. willyswanter

Yeah, but the picture you get out of a tv adapter on a computer is not anywhere near the quality of a normal dvd into a tv. And he wants to play MP3's, not just watch DVD's. And I like I said before, Pioneer has a in dash 7" fold out screen with dvd player with optical 5.1 link to the master unit (AVM-P9000R).

Jason