Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about uploading to FTP

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Jul 30, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok, i have one copmuter uploading 150 MB site, and i was wondering if i could use another computer and connect to the same FTP address and upload from it 2, or would the 2nd computer kick the first one off? i know it would probably slow it down, but are there any negative effects to this?

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

It depends how the account is configured. On my ftp server at home, I have it set to drop an existing account session if the same account tries to initiate a new session, primarily so if someone cracks the account, they can't use it from a dozen different places to do bad things.

On the other hand, my corporate office hosts FTP sites for us, and they set up 1 account for each remote office, and as many users in that office that need to can log in and work in that FTP site simultaneously under that single account.

If you're in mid-upload, I'd wait til it's done and then test it with a couple small uploads. Easy enough test, and safer than testing during a PITA upload...

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

cool, i'll try that, thanks