Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? about windshields

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80Jimmy, Jun 2, 2003.

1. 80Jimmy

80Jimmy Registered Member

I have an 83 Jimmy 6.2 liter diesel. I need a new windshield and was wondering what years and models fit mine.
    A friend of mine has a few older chevys sitting around with perfect windshields but I wanted to make sure they would work before I took any of them out.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

'73 through '87 pickups, '73 through '91 Suburbans and K5's all share the same windshield. The only thing to watch out for is if yours requires the antenna that's built into the windshield. But I think that went away around '82 or so.

3. 80Jimmy

80Jimmy Registered Member

I planned on getting rid of my antenna. Could I just use a windshield with the antenna in it instead of using the antenna on the fender?

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 3/4T TBI350 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif with a windshield based antenna. I seem to recall seeing something about that on the sticker in the glovebox, so I suspect it's original.

The strange thing is that when I got the rig last May (we just had our 1 yr anniversary /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) there was a rusty CB antenna bolted onto the driver's side fender, and this was plugged into the radio! I assumed the windshield antenna had failed, hence the cheap replacement - BUT NO - IT WORKED!!!

So, off came the rusty CB Antenna, and the windshield based antenna has been plugged into the radio ever since. It works REALLY WELL I must add - there's a cpl radio 'holes' on my drive to school and I barely notice em when I take the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

Ben

5. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I need to replace mine as well, how much do they run normally, where are the best places to get them???

Thanks

Jeremy

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes you can run it that way. Pretty easy to find the short antenna cable for antenna's in the windshield.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my 81 has inside windshield antenna but has a CB mount on roof top at rear in center

the 82 has external cowl mounted antenna like on the 67-72 trucks

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My '83 was a stock in windshield antenna, but not sure on this '86 body I have now. I'm assuming they used a drilled hole with a grommet somewhere on the passenger side for this, no? I've got a hole over there plugged, figure thats what used to be there.

Then again, do the in-windshield trucks have a bracket right below the window to hold the cable in plaec, or is that part of the windshield? I've got in-windshield antenna now, and there is definitely a little bracket there, just not sure if that is part of the windshield or not, and I'm not home to check.

9. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    My '83 was a stock in windshield antenna, but not sure on this '86 body I have now.

Then again, do the in-windshield trucks have a bracket right below the window to hold the cable in plaec, or is that part of the windshield? I've got in-windshield antenna now, and there is definitely a little bracket there, just not sure if that is part of the windshield or not, and I'm not home to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, the 1986 trucks definitely had the in-windshield antenna. My Suburban is still bone-stock and has always been that way. Yes, that bracket is for the antenna cable...

Good luck!

Kevin
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif