Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

above ground "blowup" pool questions- it's a poll!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Jun 22, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

above ground \"blowup\" pool questions- it\'s a poll!

Gabrielle turned 6 on Friday- and has been bugging us to get a bigger "kiddie" pool for quite some time, so off we went to Waly-world.

The pool we decided on is- a 15' round- 30" deep. It's bright blue - and has the top that is blow up- then you stick the hose in and as it fills up- it goes up - simple enough, instructions look simple- now for the hard part

we have quite a large yard- however it is NOT leval. There are no major difference's in height- however over a span of a 15' circle- its going to be a lot deeper on one end than it is the other. There are spots in the yard that are perfectly leval-however it would leave the pool and those of us in it in plain view of EVERYONE in the neighborhood. Along with it being in full sun from about 9am-8pm...not good with kids that have yet to have a sunburn..

Our choices are-
    SPOT A - about 5' from my the back of the house- (afternoon shade!) The kids can't jump into the pool- so being in this close proximity to the side of the house is no biggie- the problem- it will require a lot of sand underneath to level it.about 50% level now, 50% sun exposure 10% neighbor exposure and 0% road.. Sand is actually VERY cheap here, and we have the means to transport it by the 30 yard container- no biggie.

SPOT B - on the side of the house- 99% level...problem is- exposure to the road. The only way to block the road would be to park the K5, and the D/A right in front of the pool, on the grass. Would require a lot less work- sand wise, but wouldn't I be miserable with everyone watching us in the pool-

SPOT C - 100% level- with 100% sun exposure- 25% "nosey neighbor exposure" and 50% road exposure..I'm not cool with Sun exposure with my kids. so think this was just a choice so there was 3 to chose from!

My thought on the sand issue- to make a 16' circle with 4x4 cedar- i'll round the exposed edges, if a "warped" location is chosen, on 1 side of the pool, it will be leval with the ground, on the other will be exposed. Take black landscape cloth- after the grass is removed, and then put the sand over that. The pool came with a "ground cover", so that goes over the sand, then on with the pool. I am leary of having sand- think GIANT cat box- so will cover the exposed 1' of sand with "outdoor carpet", that looks like grass. Once the pool is up- it will stay up till September- then will come down for the winter, by using all the sand,wood etc. now, I think next summer it will be MUCH easier, than just trying to "get by " with the crappy warped lawn...

take my poll, and tell me what ya think!

p.s. I was gonna just do a VT roll-call- but I"m the only one..hehehe

Brandy<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1024803683MudNurI">

where to put the pool?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />spot A
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Spot B
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />Spot C
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />bring the pool back to Walmart- and use a sprinkler?
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: above ground \"blowup\" pool questions- it\'s a poll!

we put one up at my inlaws hows and what we did was pick the best spot and dig till it was leval then make a sand botom if you use just sand to make it level it will come out from under it /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Brandy, the pools you are reffering to are just meant to be put up for summer and then taken down and stored, so I'd put it on the side of the house and put a fence up so you can't be seen from the road, even if you have to put up a tarp and remember to slather those kids in WATERPROOF SPF 40 sun screen and reaplly all day long god I hate the sun unless it comes in rain form... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Sand and level it. 1) Water is VERY heavy, and will swamp your pool if it's off level and there is not much side support as your post suggests. You don't want to take chances with a side collapsing with the kids in the pool. 2) Pool bottoms are not meant to take much abuse, and sand provides a base that will be firm but without anything sharp that with the weight of water and feet pressing may pierce the lining.