Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

abs brakes ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NEK5, Feb 23, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok when i was lookin around in my engine compartment while we were working on the steerin i noticed something about my brakes..it appears to be that the plugs are not plugged in...are they supposed to be like that?

DSCN1981.JPG

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

They should be plugged but maybey the PO unplugged them to hide an issue with the ABS system

3. NEK5

how can i find out if there is an issue with the abs system??? do i need it hooked up?

4. chevyk2500hd

chevyk2500hd 1/2 ton status

No you don't need it hooked up. Unless you like the abs brakes then you can just leave it unplugged. If you plug it in and the abs light comes on then you have a problem.

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Abs

Have the axles been swapped? If so, no ABS. ABS can be trouble on the trail, but it can save your **S on the street. The axles that have ABS will have some sort of sensor attached.

Plug it in. To test - go to a level dirt road/fire service road. Get to 10 to 20 MPH and slam on the brakes. Hang on and get ready. The brake pedel should pulse and there should be no lockup. The truck should stop straight. If you feel the truck begin to yaw, get off the brakes and get it under control. Don't risk a roll.

You will probably find the PO hacked something and the ABS is dead. You know, bad pump, or something.

6. NEK5

i actually just got back from the mechanic i bought my truck off of and he told me that he unplugged the abs because it was going to be used for his trail rig and he also heard they sucked